Alec Stewart Reveals his Player for Ashes if Ben Stokes Lose Bristol Street-Brawl Case
Former England skipper and wicket-keeper batsman Alec Stewart on Monday stated the selectors of England Cricket Board (ECB) should replace Ben Stokes if he would lose on his case regarding the savage street-brawl in Bristol, as the matter is being investigated by Avon and Somerset in the southwest of the United Kingdom.
“Jason is very much a match-changing batsman – that’s my take,” He hasn’t got Test experience and yes, he was shy of runs at the start of the summer,” Stewart’s comments were published by the UK-based Mirror.
The incident took place soon after the third One-day international against Windies when batting all-rounder Stokes was with his teammate and Three Lions opening batsman Alex Hales which further saw the former bashing the 27-year-old Ryan Hale, who has been said to be a former British Soldier.
“I personally wouldn’t be against him being that No.6 batsman in the Test line-up for his game-changing ability. Although he didn’t get three figures in either innings, I think he showed that he stepped up when he really had to,” Stewart said for Roy.
With Stokes’ spot for Ashes has developed as a big question in the English national fold, the Surrey’s Director for Cricket Stewart has come up with a suggestion by saying Roy could play a major supporting role in the middle-order for newly-appointed skipper Joe Root in Australia
“In four-day cricket he bangs out hundreds and he has now played international cricket for a period of time. And because there isn’t anyone in that middle order who can bat like Stokes, I would look at Jason Roy,” Stewart maintained.
Pertinently, the explosive top-order batsman Roy was handed an opportunity after Stokes and Hales were left out for the two Royal London ODI fixture before England clinched the series 4-0, as one game was washed out in Nottingham.
“People will say, ‘take your Surrey hat off’ and I’ve taken it off. I’m looking at trying to avoid massive disruption in that line-up,” remarked Stewart.
The 27-year-old Roy went on to score 84 and 96 in his two matches as he was the replacement for Hales, who was suspended by ECB when he was grilled by the English police owing to the enquiries regarding Stokes.
“Jason doesn’t know what is going to happen to Hales, so he had to put in a performance where his team-mates, coaches and the selectors would take notice – and he did that,” Stewart asserted.
Despite being named into the 16-member squad, the cloud is hovering over Stokes’ visit to Australia — to defend the coveted Urn after ECB made it clear taht the all-rounder is barred from any cricketing activities until further orders.
“But I think the last two innings show his ability. He was under the cosh a bit. He had been out of sorts and dropped, therefore he had to grab his opportunity,” Stewart concluded.
The Durban-born makeshift opener is yet to play a Test match and it would be eventually a huge responsibility on his shoulder if the green signal would be given to Surrey’s prominent batsman in the coming days.
The Magellan Ashes 2017-18 will kick start with the first Test in Brisbane on November 23.
The 54-year-old Merton-born former right-handed batsman played 133 Tests in which he scored 8,463 runs at an average of 39.45. He smashed 15 hundreds and 45 fifties between 1989 to 2003 in Test fold.
Tahir Ibn Manzoor
Malti Chahar Shared the Proud Moment Of Her Brother Deepak Chahar
The last and third T20I against Bangladesh was the memorable one for the Indian fast bowler Deepak Chahar. His consistency in bowling was captured in the field of Nagpur. Sister Malti Chahar shared the proud moment of her brother on Social media and congratulated him….
Manish Pandey Slams Second Best Knock Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy history
Manish Pandey is currently in a dream form in domestic cricket. After the remarkable consistency in the Vijay Hazare Trophy 2019/20, Manish Pandey now slammed a century in the domestic T20 tournament – Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2019/20. This time he scored 129 not out…