The Ashes | Allan Border | Cricket Australia | ACA |

Trending News

Blog Post

Cricket

Allan Border Concerned Over Ashes Amid Pay Dispute Between CA And ACA 

Allan Border Concerned Over Ashes Amid Pay Dispute Between CA And ACA

With the long-standing pay dispute between Cricket Australia (CA) and Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) not showing any sign of coming to an end, former Australia skipper Allan Border has expressed his apprehensions over this year’s Ashes.

Last month, Cricket Australia had threatened that players would not be paid beyond June 30, the date of expiry of their current five-year financial deal, if they don’t accept the governing body’s new proposed offer which abolishes the revenue-share arrangement that the players have enjoyed for the last 20 years.

In March, the Australian cricket board made an offer, proposing that the average pay of Australia’s international women’s players would increase from $A79,000 to $A179,000, while the average pay of domestic players would more than double to $A52,000. The board also proposed that under their new model, only male international cricketers would have the chance to share in any surplus revenue, while other domestic male players and women at both domestic and international level would have to settle for fixed amounts and their pay would not vary according to the revenue of the board.

Unimpressed with the proposal, the ACA expressed their concerns, saying that it “disrespects the value of domestic cricketers and the role they play in Australian cricket”.

And with the players also supporting the ACA, Border is fearing for the worst.

“It just feels it ( Ashes) could be under threat, there’s a month until they’re all out of contract and they’re not even talking,” news.com.au quoted Border as saying. “I’m a bit fearful. I’ve just got that feel it’s going to get ugly.”

“The guys now know exactly what the revenues are they know the percentage they get, back in the day we wondered if we were getting our fair share, but we just did what we were told.

“As far as I know the players are going to stand strong, fingers crossed they can get to some middle ground,” he added.

Earlier, Australia opener David Warner had said that the Cricket Australia might struggle to field a team for the Ashes after cricket board chief executive James Sutherland said Australia’s top cricketers might find themselves unemployed if they do not accept the proposal.

If it gets to the extreme, they might not have a team for the Ashes,” Warner had said.

The Australian team is currently in the UK for the Champions Trophy. The Steve Smith-led side will begin their campaign on Friday (June 2) against Trans-Tasman rivals New Zealand at Edgbaston.

Get the latest news and updates from Indian Premier League, ICC World Cup 2019, Match Prediction & Fantasy cricket. Follow SportzWiki for all cricket news, WWE News & Sports News.

Related posts