Australia vs India 2018/19: 5 Records Virat Kohli Can Achieve In Melbourne Test
Just like the last few years, the ongoing year has also been an unforgettable one for Virat Kohli. In fact, the soon-to-end 2018 has turned out to be one of Kohli’s best years in international cricket. The year began on a great note for him as he starred with the bat in South Africa. Although India lost the Test series, he finished the series as the highest run-scorer. Few days later, he led India to their first-ever bilateral ODI series in South Africa and finished the series as the highest-run getter again.
His exploits with the bat continued in England too as he scored heavily in Tests to finish the series as the highest run-scorer. A couple of months later, he became the fastest to score 10,000 ODI runs during the series against Windies at home. Kohli is batting in the same manner in the ongoing series against Australia too. He has already scored a sublime ton, scoring 123 in the second Test in Perth which unfortunately ended in a defeat.
He, however, has already achieved some personal milestones. In the first Test in Adelaide, he became the fastest Indian to score 1,000 Test runs on the Australian soil. The 30-year old also became the only Indian skipper to score 2000 Test runs in away matches.
Well, Kohli will be desperate to end the year on a high when he leads India in the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne. A win in the game will see India take an unassailable lead and retain the Border-Gavaskar series. Not only that, Kohli will also have a chance to achieve as many as 5 personal milestones to end the year on a perfect note.
So, here is the list of records that Virat Kohli can break at the MCG in the third Test versus Australia…
1. Kohli is just 82 runs away from surpassing Rahul Dravid to become highest-scoring Indian Test batsman on overseas soil in a calendar year. So far, Kohli has amassed 1065 runs. Dravid presently sits atop on the list with his feat of 1137 runs in overseas Test matches in 2002.
2. Another century will see Kohli going level with Windies great Gary Sobers in the list of most Test hundreds.
3. Kohli requires 156 runs more in the two innings at MCG to overhaul Graeme Smith’s tally of 1212 runs to not just become the highest-scoring Test skipper in overseas soil in a calendar year but also the top-scoring Test batsman away from home ever in a year.
4. A ton in the iconic MCG will also see Kohli equal Sachin Tendulkar’s world record of 12 international tons in a calendar year – a record the former India batsman achieved wayback in 1998.
5) The century will be Kohli’s 5th in Australia as he will surpass Clive Llyod’s record of four Test centuries by a visiting captain in Australia.
Former BCCI Treasurer Believes MS Dhoni Is Still Fit For The Game
We have missed out the former Indian World Cup-winning captain MS Dhoni on the cricket field for more than last ten months. While his cricket future is still unclear, the former BCCI treasurer Anirudh Chaudhry feels that the 38-year-old Dhoni is still fit enough for…
KXIP Co-Owner Ness Wadia Gives His View On Importance Of The Foreigners In IPL
While the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is still hopeful about the IPL 2020, the major question is whether the foreign players will be present or not. Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) co-owner Ness Wadia has clarified that the IPL can’t run without…