The Aussies showed sheer dominance on the third day of the second Test between Australia and India. They were poised at 221 for the loss of 4 wickets at stumps of the second day. In the third day, the Aussies scored quickly and later also had the upper hand with the ball. Let us have a look at the Hits and Flops of the day.
HITS of the Day
- Mitchell Johnson (Australia): He was the star performer of the day. He came in to bat lower down the order and played with sheer brilliance. He managed to score 88 runs off 93 deliveries with the help of 13 fours and a six. It was indeed a great innings from him and with that kind of innings, Australia managed to pose a lead of 97 runs in the first innings. With the ball too, Johnson maintained a stiff line and length and caused pretty much of troubles for the Indian batsmen.
- Mitchell Starc (Australia): It was Starc and Johnson for Australia who played brilliantly for a partnership to take the Australian score to over 500 runs in the first innings and that too in quick time. Starc scored 52 runs off 59 deliveries with 9 boundaries. With the ball too, he performed brilliantly. He dismissed Murali Vijay early on in the innings.
- Steve Smith (Australia): The stand-in Aussie captain played brilliantly today. He was unbeaten on 65 at stumps on the second day. He carried on with his good work today and performed really well. He went on to score a century and was dismissed at the score of 133 runs.
FLOPS of the Day
- Brad Haddin (Australia): The Australian wicket keeper did not manage to perform well with the bat today. He was dismissed at a score of 6 runs by Aaron. He came in to bat when the Australians needed a partnership but he disappointed with his performance and did not manage to score big.
- Varun Aaron (India): One of the prime speedsters of India did not manage to bowl decently today and gave away too many runs. Even the Australian tail found no such difficulties in handling the predictable lengths of Aaron and he was thus too expensive. He bowled 26 overs in the innings and gave 145 runs and took 2 wickets.
- Umesh Yadav(India): This pacer took 2 wickets for India yesterday. Today he disappointed with his bowling and did not manage to produce breakthroughs. He also failed to trouble the Australian tail. He bowled 25 overs in the innings and gave 101 runs.