Table of Contents
ToggleIndian batsman Ajinkya Rahane feels he still has a plenty left in him to play white-ball cricket for India. The 32-year-old was disappointed for not being picked up in the 2019 50-over World Cup team, despite having been in a good form in this particular format.
Ajinkya Rahane has been out of action from limited-overs cricket for more than a year now. The IPL this year will be an opportunity for Rahane to showcase that he’s still got it and earn a call back from Team India. The 13th edition of IPL was originally scheduled to kick off from March 29 was postponed indefinitely after April 15 due to the rising number of coronavirus cases in the nation.

I felt that I should have been there at No. 4 in the World Cup for India: Ajinkya Rahane
The batsman revealed he was disappointed by not having been called up for India’s ODI World Cup squad last year. According to him, he expected the call up because of his hard work and his decent track record.
“I was actually thinking I will be there in the World Cup batting at No. 4. I was playing county cricket when the World Cup was happening…as a player everyone wants to be a part of the World Cup team, especially when you know you have worked really hard, your record in the past was really good. It is gone now but yes, at that time I felt that I should be there at No. 4,” Rahane said.

Ajinkya Rahane believes in himself and has set his goal to return to Team India’s ODI team. He said he had started his IPL 2020 practice right after returning from New Zealand in March.
“If you see my record before getting dropped in ODIs, it was good actually. People talk about strike rates, about averages; in the two years before getting dropped, my record was really good in 50-overs cricket. I have the ability, I have the belief in myself, and I am sure I will be back in white-ball cricket. he said
“I’m actually thinking about white-ball cricket. My goal, my aim, is to come back into the ODI team. I am really confident. I had even started practicing for IPL after returning from New Zealand.”
Ajinkya Rahane is all set for IPL 2020 with his new team Delhi Capitals
Rahane was transferred to Delhi Capitals (DC) from Rajasthan Royals (RR) and will find it difficult to get a starting place in the team with all positions stacked up. The opening spot is locked with Shikhar Dhawan and Prithvi Shaw.
The middle-order will be filled by Shreyas Iyer, Rishabh Pant, Shimron Hetmyer and Marcus Stoinis. The question is where will Rahane play, and he says he is ready to play at any position he will be offered in the team.
“If I am told to bat at No. 5 or 6 , I will definitely take it, as it will be a new role for me and help me explore my game. So if you ask me, my answer is yes, I am ready. This lockdown and the restrictions will help to build discipline.
“Following all rules on and off the field will be very crucial. You also need to think about your teammates. All this will help in cutting out the distractions and will allow you to focus on the game,” he maintained.

The lockdown has been hard for Rahane who says he hasn’t batted for the last six months, but will regain his form in three to four practice sessions.
“It’s been challenging mentally and physically. I haven’t batted for the last six months. I made my own routine and did meditation and yoga. I need three-four practice sessions to get rolling,” he said.
The IPL 2020 will be played between September 19 and November 10. The venue this time is UAE and matches will be played in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah respectively.