Darren Bravo Cleared To Play For Windies Following Apology
Cricket Windies (CWI), on Thursday (July 14), confirmed middle-order batsman Darren Bravo is eligible for selection in all the formats with immediate effect following the apology. The left-handed batsman was dropped from the team last year after calling the team’s top official a “big idiot” in a row over contracts.
In a Twitter outburst, Bravo had told CWI president Dave Cameron to quit over the handling of new deals offered to the leading players of the team.
“You have been failing 4 d last 4yrs. Y don’t u resign and FYI I’ve neva been given an A contract. Big idiot @davec51,” Bravo had tweeted.
Bravo, who has not played for West Indies since he was sent home from Zimbabwe in November last year, was served a notice for his inappropriate remark but he neither deleted the tweet nor issued a public apology. But now both the parties have accepted their mistakes and the issue has been resolved.
“Darren is a senior cricketer who has been a valuable part of the Windies set up for a long time, and I would hope to see his game continue to progress and mature, at both regional and international level,” Dave Cameron said on Thursday.
Bravo’s response had come after Cameron’s statement on a TV interview where he had said that Bravo was offered a Grade-C contract (the lowest of five grades) because of his declining averages over the last two years.
The CWI president has also apologised for his “misstatement” and assured that it was not meant to insult or offend the batsman.
“In early November 2016, I gave an interview to SportsMax TV during which I discussed player retainer contracts and the grades of contract that had been awarded to certain players. In the course of the interview, I stated that Darren Bravo had previously been on an ‘A’ contract, which I have since been advised is not correct. I apologise for the misstatement, and wish to assure Mr Bravo that there was no insult or offence intended towards him,” he noted.
In response, Bravo also admitted that his conduct was “inappropriate” and apologised, to the President of CWI and all the fans, for the outburst.
“I tweeted a response which referred to the President which was inappropriate. As I have always tried to uphold the best traditions of West Indies Cricket and its players, I now, therefore, wish to withdraw the comment made on my Twitter account and apologise to the President of CWI and to all Windies fans,” he said.
Bravo has not played for the national team since the series against Pakistan in Sharjah in November last year.
Courtney Browne, the Chairman of the selectors, also expressed his delight over the proceedings. However, he made it clear that the batsman’s return to the team will depend on ‘the cricket that he is playing’.
“For us, I think everybody in the Caribbean is happy that there has been a solution and for us, as the selection panel we can only hope that to welcome Darren back into the fold as soon as we possibly can obviously it depends on cricket that he is playing. We all at cricket West Indies are pretty happy that is finally over,” Browne mentioned.
RCB Can Not Rely On Virat Kohli and AB de Villers: Moeen Ali
Royal Challengers Banglore (RCB) have released the most number of players before the auction. RCB have offloaded 12 players and retained 13 players for the next edition of IPL. Virat Kohli-led RCB team will try to find the best combination which can give the team…
Watch: Junior Dala Cleans Up Chris Gayle With Peach Yorker
South Africa’s fast bowler Junior Dala bowled a peach of a yorker to get rid of talisman Chris Gayle in the ongoing Mzansi Super League. Dala bowled a high-speed yorker to the southpaw batsman and Gayle had no answers. The left-hander failed to get his…