The BCCI’s first ever Conclave ended with the working committee meet of the Indian cricket board, held in Dharamsala on June 24, 2016. The conclave which was started on June 21, saw some major decisions being taken by the working committee.
The conclave, which is expected to become an annual feature, started with a workshop for media managers of all state cricket associations, which included a session on digital media. It was followed by a conference of coaches and captains, Indian Premier League (IPL) governing council, junior committee and affiliation committee meeting before the all-important working committee meeting on the final day, when the next head coach’s name was announced.
The following decisions were taken by the working committee:
1. Anil Kumble was appointed as the head coach of team India.
2. Technical Committee’s recommendation to hold Ranji Trophy matches at neutral venues was approved.
3. BCCI mulling the idea of hosting “Mini IPL” or “Overseas” in September.
4. The following suggestions were approved by the working committee regarding u-19 cricket.
# Under 19 Cricketer can represent India only once in the ICC Under 19 World Cup.
# Any player entering the system at Under 19 stage can play only two seasons of Under 19 cricket.
5. BCCI to have a separate marketing budget from the coming season to popularise Test Cricket in the country. The BCCI and the State Units will work together towards promotion and marketing of International matches.
6. BCCI will enter into Venue agreements with the associations hosting international matches in the coming season, defining their roles & responsibilities and minimum standards required.
7. The decision of starting a new T20 league in place of Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy was taken by the working committee. The format of the league would see all state teams playing an Inter zonal league in their respective zones. It will be followed by all the five zones selecting a zonal side to play an Inter-Zonal League.
8. Working Committee approved the proposal of Media Committee to issue an Annual Season Media Accreditation card.
9. BCCI will start annual awards for state associations in the following categories: Best Website, Best Facebook page, Best Twitter Handle, Best Instagram, Best Media Facility, Best Media Operations. This will encourage state associations to be more transparent and professional. It will also help BCCI to get closer to the fans.