Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Rajiv Shukla has made it clear that Rising Pune Supergiant and Gujarat Lions will not get any extension ahead of the next season.
He states that both the teams will have to undergo fresh bidding next year if it is eventually decided that the 2018 season will be a 10-team affair.
The two teams, who were brought to the fore as replacements for suspended Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royal, had a two-year contract with the IPL which ends with the conclusion of IPL 10. However, both CSK and RR are set to return in 2018 as the two teams who inflicted suspension due to the 2013 spot-fixing scandal are ready to join the League again.
“No extension is being given to both the teams (RPS and Lions). The agreement was only for two years. Even if we make it a 10-team league, the two new teams would have to be freshly bid, so they (RPS and GL) are not being given any extension or anything,” Shukla told during a press conference on Sunday.
The GL and RPS fans may not be able to see their teams play, as the chairman has hinted that the idea of playing 10 Teams contest does not have much support. A 10 team contest would increase the number of matches from 60 to 84 which is not being seen as viable by the GC as well as the broadcasters.
“Next year, as per SC order, the two (suspended) teams would be back. The issue of whether 8 or 10 teams will come up at the IPL GC meeting. So far the plan is to go ahead with 8 teams. A 10-team league has to be endorsed by the Governing Council.”
Shukla also hinted that the player retention policy may see some changes. The 2018 season will see the players again go through the auction rounds, as the original 10-year retention period becomes invalid after the end of the ongoing season, making it will be mandatory to conduct a fresh auction pool.
“We will have a mega auction but retention policy also needs to be decided. The mega-auction is not going to take place immediately it will be just before next IPL, so we have enough time to decide.”
The contract for the IPL media rights and the title sponsorships will also undergo changes. The media right is set to be reduced to five years from the original period of 10. The title sponsorship, which is currently with Vivo, will also be cancelled after this season. Shukla said next year sponsorship will once again go under the hammer but through e-auction.
“There was an assessment that we should not go for a 10-year duration. After 5 years, we don’t know, what would be the quantum of the league? How big would the league be? The COA was in agreement with everything. They were sitting together, each decision was taken unanimously,” Shukla said.
“The issue (of e-auction) has been discussed. The IPL staff has been told to talk to the experts. It’s a segregated tender (digital/broadcast/mobile) for different zones, so it becomes difficult.
“But the title sponsorship, there we have decided to go for e-auction. Vivo was there for 2 years and fresh auction will be held.”