2017 ICC Champions Trophy | Manchester Attack | Security |

Trending News

Post

2017 ICC Champions Trophy

2017 ICC Champions Trophy: Manchester Attack Puts Tournament In Doubt 

2017 ICC Champions Trophy: Manchester Attack Puts Tournament In Doubt

At a time when England was preparing earnestly to host the eighth edition of the ICC Champions Trophy, they were rocked by a deadly bomb attack in Manchester.

The eight-team tournament is slated to start from June 1 but just nine days ago from the day of its commencement, a bomb explosion took place late night on Monday (May 22) at the end of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.

According to reports, the terror attack has killed 22 people and injured over 50 others.

As of now, the tournament is going ahead as planned initially but there are doubts lingering over it due to the explosion. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) recently raised their security concerns with the International Cricket Council (ICC) while South Africa team manager had said the players were feeling uneasy after the suicide attack.

“As you can understand we have some genuine concerns, the players are uneasy… there was a lot of chatter at the breakfast table,” the manager had told reporters earlier this week.

On the other hand, the British Parliament has decided to close all public events immediately. Consequently, all tours, events and banqueting will be cancelled with immediate effect. This arrangement will remain in place until the advice changes.

“As a consequence, all tours, events and banqueting will be cancelled with immediate effect. This arrangement will remain in place until the advice changes,” said the official website of the UK Parliament.

In such a scenario, nothing much can be said about the tournament but one can only hope that the much-awaited showpiece event goes ahead as planned.

Meanwhile, the ICC along with England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is also monitoring the whole situation in order to ensure the safety of all the players.

“Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the horrific attack in Manchester. The ICC and ECB place safety and security at the ICC Champions Trophy and ICC Women’s World Cup this summer as the highest priority. We operate on advice from our Tournament Security Directorate – in conjunction with the ECB and relevant authorities – to ensure that we have a robust safety and security plan for both tournaments. We will continue to work with authorities over the coming hours and days and review our security in line with the threat levels,” stated ICC on its official website.

Get the latest news and updates from Indian Premier League, ICC World Cup 2019, Match Prediction & Fantasy cricket. Follow SportzWiki for all cricket news, WWE News & Sports News.

Related posts