The first Test Match between India and Sri Lanka ended in a dramatic manner as Sri Lanka managed to pull off an impossible victory from jaws of defeat. The hosts defeated the visitors by 63 runs. Rangana Herath was the chief destroyer by picking up seven wickets.
Here are some of the incredible stats from the first Test match between India and Sri Lanka:
1. Previous occasion where India played three spinners was way back in 1997 August, at Premadasa Stadium in Colombo. Sri Lanka posted their highest ever Test score (952/6 decl.) On that occasion too Sri Lanka beat India by the margin of 63 runs.
2. R. Ashwin’s 6/46 is the best ever figures by an Indian spinner in the first innings of an way Test surpassing the previous best of 6/94 by BS Chandrasekhar.
3. Ashwin’s figures of 6/46 is also the best ever by an Indian spinner in Sri Lanka. He bettered his counterpart Harbhajan Singh’s 6/102 in 2008 at Galle.
4. Shikhar Dhawan’s 134 made him the third Indian opening batsman to score back to back centuries in an away Tests after the greats like Sunil Gavaskar and Rahul Dravid. During this knock he also became the 62nd Indian batsman to aggregate 1000 runs in Test cricket.
5. The 227 run partnership between Virat Kohli and Shikhar Dhawan is the highest third wicket partnership for India in Tests against Sri Lanka. They gone past the previous best 0f 173 between Mohinder Amarnath and Dilip Vengsarkar at Nagpur 1986/87.
6. Virat Kohli, now has 4 centuries in 3 matches as a Test captain for India. The other captains to achieve this feat before was Sunil Gavaskar during the period of 1976 to 1979 and Alastair Cook from England during 2010 to 2012.
7. Wriddhiman Saha registered his maiden fifty in his 6th Test match. He now becomes the second wicket keeper after MS Dhoni to register a 50 plus score in Sri Lanka.
8. For the first time in Test history both the opening batsman were dismissed for ducks by spinners in the same innings. Dimuth Karunaratne and Kaushal Silva were dismissed by Indian Spinners R. Ashwin and Amit Mishra.
9. Dinesh Chandimal 162* is his highest score in Test matches surpassing his previous best of 116* against Bangladesh at Galle in March 2013.
10. Chandimal after scoring 59 and 162 becomes the third Sri Lankan wicket keeper to aggregate 200 plus runs in a single Test Match after Kumar Sangakkara (244 vs Pakistan at Lahore 2002) and Brendon Kuruppu (201 vs New Zealand at Colombo 1987).
11. Ajinkya Rahane became the first fielder in Test match history to claim eight catches in a Test match. He went past five other fielders who held seven catches.
12. R Ashwin’s overall match figures of 10-160 makes him the second Indian spinner after Harbhajan Singh to claim a 10 wicket haul on Sri Lankan turf.
13. Rangana Herath became the oldest Sri Lankan to take a seven wicket haul in a Test match. Also it is the best spell by a left arm spinner against India.
14. Rangana Herath now has 270 wickets in the 61 Test matches he played. During the Test match he went past the tally of 267 wickets claimed by Indian left arm spinner Bishan Singh Bedi. Now he is the third successful left arm spinner after the Kiwi Daniel Vettori and Englishman Derek Underwood.
15. India’s total of 112 is the lowest against Sri Lanka. Their previous lowest total against the Sri Lankans was 138 which came at Colombo in 2008.
16. This is the first time India has lost a Test match after taking a lead of over 100 or more runs.
Kane Williamson Says World Cup Loss Is A Bad Dream, AB de Villiers Commiserate
Surely, it would be tough to take such a loss in the final of the world cup. When you did…
Windies vs India 2019: Virat Kohli Set To Tour West Indies To Play All Formats
Amidst the reports of sending a second-string side to West Indies, there comes the news from the BCCI official that…