IPL 2018: Match 12, Kings XI Punjab vs Chennai Super Kings – Statistical Highlights
Kings XI Punjab saw off a spirited fightback from MS Dhoni to beat Chennai Super Kings in a thrilling game on Sunday. Put in to bat first, Kings XI Punjab rode on Chris Gayle’s whirlwind fifty and KL Rahul‘s quickfire knock to post 197 for 7 in the allotted 20 overs. In reply, Super Kings managed to put up 193 for 5. MS Dhoni kept the team in hunt by scoring 46 off the last 16 balls he faced, thus finishing on 79 off 44.
With the game now done and dusted, here is a look at some interesting numbers:
1. The game was only the third instance Dhoni remained unbeaten during an unsuccessful run-chase in the IPL. He scored 63* against Mumbai Indians in the 2013 IPL final where his side lost by 23 runs and 42* in the second Qualifier of 2014 where Chennai lost to Kings XI Punjab by 24 runs.
2. The 4-run defeat margin is the shortest margin of defeat for Super Kings in the IPL. Their previous smallest margin of defeat was seven runs when they lost to Kings XI Punjab at home in 2012.
3. Chris Gayle reached his fifty off just 22 balls. It was his joint second fastest fifty in the IPL. His fastest fifty came off 17 balls during his unbeaten 175 against Pune Warriors India in 2013.
4. Imran Tahir reached the 50-wicket mark in the IPL after picking up two wickets in the game. With that, he became only the second overseas leg-spinner to bag 50 wickets in the IPL.
5. Dhoni scored his highest score in the IPL. His previous highest score in the IPL was 70* which came against Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2011.
6. Dhoni’s 79-run knock is the second highest individual score for any captain in an unsuccessful run-chase in the IPL. Murali Vijay scored 89 at the same venue in 2016 when Kings XI Punjab lost to Royal Challengers Bangalore.
7. Before this game, Suresh Raina had played all the 158 games Chennai had played in the IPL. He is the only player to feature in 150-plus consecutive T20 matches for a team.
Here is the news feed:
Mali Women Manage Lowest Completed Total In International Cricket History
On Tuesday (18th June), Women’s T20I cricket observed a bizarre record. Mali Women’s national cricket team was bundled out for…
ICC World Cup 2019: Twitter Goes Gaga as Eoin Morgan Marches into Record Books in Manchester
England skipper Eoin Morgan has made it to the record books by becoming fourth fastest at the World Cup –…