BCCI treasurer Arun Dhumal has quashed all the apprehensions surrounding the start of this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) as he confirmed that the tournament would begin as scheduled. IPL 2020 is scheduled to be played from September 19 to November 10 in UAE.
Doubts about the upcoming edition of the tournament had arisen after the recent turn of events in the Chennai Super Kings camp. 13 of their members including two players – Deepak Chahar, Ruturaj Gaikwad – had tested positive for COVID-19. Fortunately, no other member from the team has contracted the virus so far.
At present, the entire team is in quarantine while the other seven teams have already started their preparations for IPL 2020. This very development led to speculation that the tournament might be postponed, depending on the COVID-19 situation in the UAE. However, Dhumal said that everything was fine now in the UAE and the event would take place as planned.
“They all [CSK members] have come negative now. And the IPL will take place as scheduled; there is no doubt about that. Don’t worry, players are following the COVID-19 protocols and matches will be played without spectators. So, I don’t think there will be any problem with that,” Dhumal said.
The BCCI has also put on hold the release of the tournament schedule. Asked about it, the BCCI treasurer said the Board is in talks with the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB), “and hopefully the announcement will be made soon”.
“IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel is also there in the UAE and he is working on it. The ECB is helping us in all the way possible. Just hope for the best,” he added.
Meanwhile, reports are also suggesting that BCCI could go for a change in the schedule as far as the opening game of the tournament is concerned. Last year’s finalists Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings are to play the tournament-opener. However, Sunrisers Hyderabad could replace Chennai Super Kings for the first game of the game after the recent COVID-19 mess.