Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson has been rested from the Twenty20 series in South Africa and will return home before joining the squad in Bangladesh for the 2014 ICC World Twenty20. All-Rounder Moises Henriques will remain in South Africa as his replacement.
Johnson was the highest wicket-taker in the Test series, which Australia won 2-1, claiming 22 wickets at 17.36 apiece. He also bowled the most overs, 126.1 – across three matches.
Australia’s first T20 against South Africa is on March 9 and their first game of the World Twenty20 is against Pakistan on March 23.
Johnson who is in a divine form at the moment is big hope of Australia in the upcoming World Twenty20. His bowling accuracy of line & length and bowling at an average speed of 150 kmph frightening the batsmen. Management wanted him to be fit for the tournament with firing the balls from his hand.
Johnson who played in the 7 Match ODI series against India in last year, was sent back to home ahead of the series deciding 7th ODI not to make him tired before Ashes Series and rest was the history he created in it.
Darren Lehmann too said the need of him for the World Cup taking about his resting from T20 series.
“Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up,” Australia’s coach Darren Lehmann said. “He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh ahead the ICC World Twenty20.“