World Cup Cricket is by itself the grand Cricketing event. Even the matches between the minnows in the World Cup produce sheer adrenaline rushes. In the Group B match between the two hosts, Australia and New Zealand, it was perhaps one of the best matches of this World Cup so far. New Zealand ultimately won the match by a margin of just one wicket. Here in this very article, we are to sum up the list of such finishes in the history of the 10 World Cup tournaments being played till date where a team won by a margin of just a single wicket or so.
- West Indies Vs. Pakistan, 1975: It was a group stage match being played at Birmingham. Pakistan batted first in the match and went on to score 266 runs in their 60 overs. In reply, West Indies were always up for the target and they reached to the total in 59.4 overs with just 1 wicket to spare.
- Pakistan Vs. West Indies, 1987: It was a group stage match of the 1987 World Cup at Lahore. West Indies batted first and were bundled at the score of 216 runs. In reply, it was kind of a decent chase from Pakistan and ultimately, they just managed to reach the target of 217 runs after the full quota of 50 overs with just a single wicket to spare.
- South Africa Vs. Sri Lanka, 2007: It was one of the Super Eights matches being played at Guyana. Sri Lanka batted first and were bundled at the score of 209 runs in 49.3 overs. In reply, with the courtesy of a fine innings from Jacques Kallis, South Africa reached to the target with 1.3 overs to spare and with 1 wicket in hand.
- West Indies Vs. England, 2007: The match was being played at Bridgetown, Barbados. West Indies batted first and scored a total of 300 runs on the board. In reply, England played brilliantly and reached to the target with two balls remaining and with 1 wicket to spare.
- Afghanistan Vs. Scotland, 2015: This was the match that was being played lately in this World Cup. Scotland batted first and scored a total of 211 runs. In reply, Afghanistan crumbled initially. Having been down for 97 for 7, they still managed to reach the target and won the match by one wicket.
- Australia Vs. New Zealand, 2015: It was yet another brilliant match of the World Cup being played lately. New Zealand bundled Australia for a score of 152 runs. In reply, New Zealand were well on to the chase but kept on losing wickets. They were at the score of 146 runs when they lost their 8th and 9th wicket in successive deliveries but then a six in the next over sealed victory in favour of them.
Rohit Sharma Slams Media For Too Much Criticising Rishabh Pant
The 22-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman Rishabh Pant has consistently faced huge criticism for his weak performances in international cricket. Rohit Sharma, the limited-overs vice-captain, has slammed the media for too much criticising the youngster. Rishabh Pant made his international cricket debut in February 2017 through the T20I…
We Should Organise IPL When Everything is Fine: Harbhajan Singh
The veteran Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh feels ok to play the IPL 2020 in empty stadiums in the wake of novel COVID-19 or coronavirus outbreak, but he first wants to see everything is okay before the tournament. Like the many other nations, India is also…