After guiding Perth Scorchers to the final of Big Bash League with a fiery spell in the semi-final against Melbourne Stars, former Australia fast bowler Mitchell Johnson has admitted he might return to the international stage if he gets a call from the selectors ahead of the three-match Twenty20 international series against Sri Lanka at home next month.
The 35-year-old, who retired from international cricket in 2015, has been doing really well in his first BBL season. The left-arm pacer has picked up 12 wickets in the tournament including the 3/3 in semi-final that propelled the Scorchers to the final. Johnson’s average of 15.66 and economy of 6.26 are the third and second best this season respectively among the top 10 wicket-takers.
And with his performance improving with every passing game, the retired bowler is not ruling out the prospect of donning the Australian jersey again.
“I’m getting asked this question a hell of a lot at the moment,” Johnson told Fox Sports. “I mean, the ears definitely pricked up.”
“I was sat next to Justin Langer who’s the coach for the T20 side, he did ask if I was available. At the time I didn’t click that he was actually the coach (for the T20 series) and I said ‘no chance!’ and he goes ‘are you sure?’ and I was like, yeah, nah, not keen at all. But look, I keep getting asked and I just want to play good cricket and have some fun and I’m doing that with the Big Bash,” he added.
Earlier this month, he had ruled out any possibility of returning to the international scene but constant inquiries from others, it seems, has changed his mind.
“If I get a call from the selectors then maybe I’ll think about it but to be honest I’m pretty happy where I’m sitting at the moment,” he said.
Meanwhile, the pacer would look to deliver a similar performance in the title decider against Sydney Sixers on January 28.