New Zealand Cricket on Tuesday boosted security around the women’s national team currently touring Britain as a precaution after a threatening email was received by English officials. Neither of the two teams trained at the ground on Monday, avoiding any chance of an attack.
New Zealand Cricket, which last week abruptly abandoned the Black Caps’ Pakistan tour over security fears for the men’s team, said the latest threat was ultimately deemed “not credible”. But New Zealand Cricket said the communication received by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) prompted increased security around the White Ferns women’s team, which is due to play England in Leicester on Tuesday.
New Zealand Cricket Boosted Security Around Women Team In UK
The latest development came as English cricket chiefs withdrew their men’s and women’s teams from next month’s white-ball series in Pakistan, citing “increasing concerns about travelling to the region”. That decision came in the wake of the Black Caps’ dramatic withdrawal from the Pakistan tour on Friday, moments before the first one-day international was due to start at Rawalpindi Stadium.
New Zealand Cricket has refused to detail what prompted the action beyond saying it had been advised of a “specific and credible threat”.
“The ECB has received a threatening email relating to New Zealand Cricket. Although this did not specifically reference the White Ferns, it was treated seriously, investigated, and deemed not credible,” the governing body said in a statement.
“The White Ferns have now arrived in Leicester and, as a precaution, security around them has been boosted.”
The third WODI of the series between England and New Zealand looks set to go ahead in Leicester after a security threat was deemed by New Zealand Cricket to be “not credible”. The 3rd England Women vs New Zealand Women match in the 5-match series will continue despite the security threat faced by the NZ team which is being probed.
The England women side led by Heather Knight is leading the five-match England Women vs New Zealand Women series 2-0 with three more matches to play.
England And New Zealand’s Pakistan Tour Cancellations Are A Huge Setback
According to Pakistan’s Interior Minister Sheikh Rasheed Ahmad, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told Pakistan leader Imran Khan that the team feared an attack outside the stadium. The England and New Zealand cancellations are a huge setback for Pakistan, which has been trying to revive tours by foreign sides after home internationals were suspended in the aftermath of a terror attack on the Sri Lankan side in 2009.
There will also be questions raised about planned tours to Pakistan by the West Indies in December and Australia in February next year. The New Zealand men’s team arrived in Dubai on Sunday on a charter flight from Pakistan’s Islamabad, with players not involved in next month’s Twenty20 World Cup in the UAE returning to New Zealand as soon as flights and quarantine facilities can be arranged.