Sir Ravindra Jadeja’s never known Glimpses of Excellence
Have you ever wondered what the young kid who lost his mother at the age 17 was doing before he made it to the Indian team to be tagged with a sarcastic ‘Sir’ and finally trolling the entire world ? Getting into the Indian cricket team is no easy job; even better, earning a spot for the first time is priceless. Let me take you through some of the unheard glimpses of excellence from the mo man before he made it to spot light with the moustache.
- India U19 vs Pakistan U19, September 24, 2006 During the early winter in 2006, the Indian boys toured to Pakistan to get some international exposure. During the fourth ODI of the tour Sumeet Sharma of Punjab picked up five wickets and restricted Pakistan to 191. It was a poor start from India losing three quick wickets at front, with two of the top order batsmen not opening their account. The new batsman in, Ravindra Jadeja looked patient, building the innings and capitalizing on it with an 82 run stand for the fourth wicket. Having scored 94 runs, he was awarded the man of the match. Ravindra Jadeja 94(114) (14×4 , 3×6) vs. Pakistan U19
- India U19 vs. Srilanka U19, 1st Youth test, August 2007 The spin duo of Jadeja and KP Appana made sure India wins the match with utter comfort. None of the Lankan batsmen got going against the left arm spinner as they lost five wickets for 8 runs on route to a draw. Jadeja added 9 wickets under his tally.
Ravindra Jadeja [17.2 – 4- 28– 5] & [13- 11- 5- 4]
- Saurashtra vs. Mumbai, Ranji trophy super league QF, 2007-08 The mighty Mumbai side was knocked out even before semi finals of the tournament in 07-08 season. After winning the toss and opting to bowl, they were in trouble with SH Kotak standing like a barrier between them and a semifinal spot. Just when it looked like Mumbai may run through the line up a man punched fists to accompany Kotak. A relaxed innings from Ravindra Jadeja posted his highest Ranji score and helped his team post a mammoth total which couldn’t be chased by Mumbai.
Ravindra Jadeja 87(165) (11X4, 2X6) vs. Mumbai
- India U19 vs Southafrica U19, 1st youth test, Chatsworth 2008 After having a confident 95 run lead in first innings, India didn’t make a mark as the south African top order looked rock solid and finished at 116/1 at the end of day with a clear lead. But what happened in the next day was completely surprising as the hosts were wrapped up for 164. The last six batsmen were dismissed after scoring 33runs in aggregate. Jaddu was awarded as man of the match for picking up seven wickets.
Ravindra Jadeja [5- 2- 12- 2] & [16.3- 4- 32- 5]
- Saurahstra vs Karnataka, Ranji trophy super league QF, 2008-09
Just when Karnataka’s top order looked in prime touch with the likes of Robin Uthappa and Rahul Dravid, Saurahstra had answers. Just when Uthappa and Dravid were building a third wicket partnership, Jadeja was introduced. He troubled almost every batsman with his constant variation and bounce including the legendary batsman dravid, unsettling the batsmen and finally picking up the big wickets. Saurahstra advanced yet another time into the semifinals knocking out a favorite team. Ravindra Jadeja [32- 8 -82-5], 38(98), [26-5-58-4] , 55(41) The rest is history on how Jadeja performed for the tricolors and pulling up talks of favourism shown by MS Dhoni towards him in the Indian side. He was inconsistent, dropped, picked and finally rocked the big stage. This young man is set to create wonders. Have a cup of tea, with a couple of biscuits and watch this man roll his arms.
IPL 2019: KXIP’s David Miller Lauds Ravichandran Ashwin’s Captaincy Role
In the ongoing twelfth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), prominent middle-order batsman David Miller has lavished praise on…