Engaging and riveting are possibly the only adjectives to summarize the current Ashes series. After being annihilated in the second test at Lord’s, the England bowlers led by the remarkable James Anderson ripped apart the Australians on the first morning of the third test.
Australia decided to bat first on an overcast day and fair to say, it turned out to be a complete blunder. Since the last 10 years at Edgbaston, only once has a team won after batting first. Despite knowing the fact, Michael Clarke opted to bat first, but James Anderson had other plans for the visitors.
Anderson first got rid of Warner as he trapped him in front of the stumps. Steven Finn, the comeback man struck twice to dismantle the Australians. Chris Rogers however kept going while wickets kept on tumbling at the other end. Rogers was eventually dismissed for 52 and soon the Australian innings ended on 136. England too were rocked early as Adam Lyth endured yet another failure. Ian Bell and Alastair Cook looked fluent, but Cook too was dismissed on 34 by Nathan Lyon.
However, England ended Day 2 with a firm grip on the game. The Australian bowlers surely need to bowl their hearts out if they are to have any chance of reviving their fortunes. It wouldn’t be a surprise if even the third test ends within 4 days.
We now have a look at the 5 statistical highlights from the first day’s play:
1. Only ONCE in the last 7 tests at Edgbaston has the team batting first got to a total in excess of 300.
2. It was the THIRD instance when Australia were bowled out within 40 overs in an Ashes test after winning the toss and batting first.
3. This was the EIGHTH instance of Australia losing 7 wickets for less than 100 runs on board since 2010.
4. The last time Steve Smith was dismissed on a single digit score, it was way back in November 2014 against Pakistan in UAE. Australia lost that game.
5. Chris Rogers has 9 50+ scores for Australia after turning 37 years of age.
|Jaipur Pink Panthers||9||7||36|
|Dabang Delhi K.C.||7||5||29|
Ajinkya Rahane Expressed The Reason Behind Ravichandran Ashwin Absence
Ravichandran Ashwin was not given place in final XI in the Antigua Test Match. For a very long he has…
WWE News: Two Former Champions Reuniting To Form New Tag Team
WWE’s tag team division lacks in-depth for quite sometimes. If you have observed the storylines from recent times, then they…