Run outs in Cricket are always unfortunate. There has been many instances where a run out changed the team’s fate completely. Sometimes run outs come as a result of batsmen’s casualties in running or by the sheer brilliance of the fielding sides and in most of the times run outs happen in a touch and go situation. Batsmen get run out by inches. Throughout the history of the game, there has been plenty of miserable and equally unfortunate run outs. Here is the list of the Top 10 Most Unfortunate Run Outs in Cricket:
1. Allan Donald Run Out in World Cup Semi Final: Now this run out quite normally leads the chart. This was one run out that broke million hearts. It was one run out which ruined a country’s dream of clinching the World Cup which remains unfulfilled still today. It was one run out for which Allan Donald became a mockery. South Africa needed a single run off the last three balls in the 1999 semi final and all that was needed from Allan Donald was to just complete the run. He dropped his bat in panic and was ran out by miles and South Africa’s dream run to the 1999 world cup concluded.
2. Sachin’s Run Out At Eden Gardens: This run out happens to be fresh among most Indians. It was the test in Eden Gardens when Sachin came out to bat. He glanced a ball through the legs and was on his way to complete three runs. Shoaib Akhtar came in his way and as a result of which, Sachin was run out. This run out led to the outburst of violence from the crowd.
3. Virat Kohli’s Run Out in 2013: It was at the time when Virat Kohli was in his prime form. Also it was the seventh ODI between India and Australia and was a decisive one. It was an important one for Kohli too as he had the chance of surpassing Sir Viv Richard’s record of reaching to 5000 runs in the fastest time. But unfortunately he was run out for a duck by Rohit Sharma. Rohit Sharma went on to score 200 in the match.
4. Sourav Ganguly’s run out in 1999 World Cup: It was the first world cup of the Prince of Kolkata and he was on the verge of making a century against the mighty South Africans. It was going to be his first century at World Cup but there was a mis-understanding between him and Azharuddin and it led him to get run out on 97.
5. Inzamam Deceived by Rhodes: This quite non-arguably happens to be one of the best run outs in the history of Cricket. Inzamam played a ball on the point region and was going for a run but was sent back. In the mean time, Jonty Rhodes ran from there and dislodged the bails like a trace of bullet. Inzamam remained clueless. This was quite unfortunate on his part.
6. Younis Khan Run Out on 199: Getting out on 99 is painful and getting out on 199 is even more painful especially when that is a run out. It was in 2006 in the series against India, Younis was batting on 199 on a test. He glanced a ball to the mid on region in search of a run but Afridi, the non-striker did not respond to the call and Younis was run out.
7. Sehwag’s Most Hilarious Run Out: It was the match between India and Sri Lanka and Sehwag was batting on 45. He then played a cut and was on his way to take 2 runs. The first run was completed and he was over casual in completing the second. He was walking to his crease when suddenly Malinga aimed at the stumps and Sehwag was gone.
8. Amit Mishra’s Strolling: It was in IPL 7. The match was between Rajasthan Royals and Sunrisers Hyderabad. Amit Mishra was batting and he missed a shot while he went down the ground to hit it. Sanju Samson, the wicket keeper threw the ball but missed the stumps. It was collected by Faulkner, the bowler and he too missed it. But even by that time, Mishra could not make his ground and was dismissed by Samson on the third attempt.
9. Sachin’s Shocking Run Out: Three times the master blaster was dismissed on 99 and one of them was a run out. It was against South Africa when Sachin was on 98 and he played a ball through the gully and was going for two runs but was dismissed by an inch when he was about to complete the second run and thus was dismissed on 99.
10. Gilchrist’s Run Out on 2003 World Cup: It was the world cup on 2003 and it was a great world cup for the Aussie wicket keeper, Adam Gilchrist. But in the match against Sri Lanka, Gilchrist was batting brilliantly but then there was a mis-understanding between him and Ponting and he was run out on 99.
Watch: Ross Taylor Takes Stunner Catch Of Ben Stokes
It stuns everyone when the fielders take an unbelievable catch. Especially the one-handed catches as these are most difficult to pick up. The fitness of the player is judged through his style of taking catches. Recently, the 35-year-old New Zealander, Ross Taylor, has astonished everyone…
India Vs Bangladesh 2019/20: Second Test (Day One) – Indian Cricketers Dominate The Historic Day
The hosts India totally dominated on a historic day one of the day/night pink-ball Test match against the visitors Bangladesh at Eden Gardens (Kolkata). After winning the toss, Bangladesh captain Mominul Haque decided to bat first. But it was a horrific day for his team….