Want to be a professional cricketer?
India and Sri Lanka have played together plenty of times with plenty of nail biting contests between the two teams. And, there were plenty of high scoring ones. Well, as a good news for the Cricket fans, we have a 5-match India-Sri Lanka series commencing soon. Many of the matches between the two nations were high scoring ones. To bring up an important context, here is an interesting article.
Here we bring up a list of the top-5 Highest opening partnerships between India and Sri Lanka that occurred till date.
1. Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar (India)– 252 runs: The partnership between the master blaster and Sourav Ganguly stands to be the best between the two nations. The match was the final of the Singer Akai-Nidahas Trophy. India batted first and these two put on a 252 run stand in 43.6 overs. Tendulkar scored 128 runs off 131 balls while Sourav scored 109 runs off 136 balls. India won the match by a margin of 6 runs.
2. Ajinkya Rahane and Shikhar Dhawan (India)-231 runs: Ajinkya Rahane and Shikhar Dhawan put on a mammoth 231 runs in 35 overs in the first ODI between these two sides at Cuttack. Sri Lanka put India into bat and the duo crossed their respective tons before getting splitted. Rahane scored 111 off 108 balls and Dhawan scored 113 off 107 balls and propelled India to 363-5 in 50 overs.
3. Mahela Jayawardene and Upul Tharanga (Sri Lanka) – 213 runs: This occurred in the triangular series between India, West Indies and Sri Lanka in July, 2013. Sri Lanka batted first and Sri Lankan openers did put up a great show right up in the front. They batted together for 38.4 overs when Jayawardene was dismissed. He scored 107 runs of 112 deliveries while Tharanga remained unbeaten on 174 runs off 159 deliveries. Sri Lanka won the match by a margin of 161 runs.
4. Tilekaratne Dilshan and Upul Tharanga (Sri Lanka) – 188 runs: This partnership stands to be one of the best partnerships in the context of the game. Chasing down the mammoth target of 415 runs, the two Sri Lankan openers brought them a blistering start. Tharanga was dismissed in the 24th over. He scored 67 off 60. Dilshan went on to score 160 runs off 124 balls. India won the match by 3 runs in the end.
5. Manoj Prabhakar and Sachin Tendulkar (India) – 161 runs: It was in 1995 when this record partnership was made. Chasing down 203 runs, the Indian opening pair game them the perfect start which they required. Prabhakar was dismissed at 60 runs off 79 deliveries while Sachin remained unbeaten on 112 runs off 107 balls. India won the match by 8 wickets.