No agreement between Man United and Mourinho, confirms super agent
Mourinho’s agent Jorge Mendes revealed no official proposal from Manchester United has come to the recently sacked Portuguese manager so far.
Jose Mourinho has been heavily linked with the Manchester United managerial seat over the last week after he was sacked by Chelsea.
van Gaal is under immense pressure after Manchester United embarked upon a six-game winless run that has also ousted them from the Champions League.
According to reports, Mourinho is ready to take over the Old Trafford job if United board fire van Gaal, who is currently halfway through his three-year deal.
However, the Portuguese manager’s agent Jorge Mendes, when speaking to Globo Esporte, ruled out the reports suggesting a lucrative had been struck between his client and the United hierarchy.
Mendes also confirmed any “official proposal” had not been offered by Manchester United, but the agent didn’t exactly pour cold water on rumours that the former Chelsea boss is ready for the hot seat at Old Trafford.
“There is nothing,” Mendes told. “We don’t know what will happen in the future, but now there is no agreement. There isn’t an official proposal either – that’s not true.”
After the 2-1 defeat to Norwich last Saturday, van Gaal said he had all the backing of executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and his own players despite frustrating performances.
”Ed was very fast out of the dressing room but I feel that support, yes,” the 64-year-old said.
”The most important support is from the players because the players have to do it on the pitch and the chemistry between the players and the manager and his staff is very important.”
Majority of the United fans clearly want to see Mourinho replacing van Gaal. Cries of the Portuguese’s name could be heard around Old Trafford on Saturday and the Red Devils were also booed off the field following their third consecutive loss, which saw them in fifth position.
Last month, few senior United figures insisted the Dutch manager still had the board’s full support, but after watching a run of six outings without a win, they have now fallen quiet leaving van Gaal vulnerable.
Sources close to the United board suggests they lost faith especially at van Gaal’s failure to guide his squad through what was seen as a relatively easy Champions League group stage including PSV Eindhoven, CSKA Moscow and Wolfsburg so a second straight defeat in Premier league means Manchester United go into a busy Christmas schedule sitting outside Premier League’s top four.
With Jose Mourinho available and ready to take the managerial charge, there have been plenty of speculations linking the two-time Champions League winner coach with the Red Devils.
United Board are also aware of the fact that Pep Guardiola is available next summer, although he is reported to be ready for a move to Manchester City after his contract with Bayern Munich ends.
Manchester United now travel to Stoke City on Boxing Day before facing Chelsea at home on December 28.
Australia Name Unchanged Squad For New Zealand ODIs, Aaron Finch To Lead
Australia have named an unchanged squad for the three-match home series against New Zealand that takes place next month. The home team hasn’t named the T20I squad but the inclusion of regulars for ODIs means that they will also play the T20Is, hence missing a…
Rashid Latif Points Out Reasons Why India Failed In Wellington Test
While the Indian team was outclassed by the hosts New Zealand in the Wellington Test, former Pakistan captain Rashid Latif feels disappointed with the performances of the Indian cricketers. Wellington Test was the first game of the two-match Test series between the hosts New Zealand…