Liverpool (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Mignolet; Manquillo, Skrktel, Lovren, Johnson; Gerrard, Henderson; Sterling, Coutinho, Can; Sturridge.
Out: Borini (shoulder), Ilori (thigh), Lallana (knee), Markovic (ankle), Flanagan (knee), Agger (calf).
Southampton (Possible, 4-4-2): Forster; Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Bertrand; Schneiderlin, Cork, Ward-Prowse, Davis; Tadic, Pelle.
Out: Rodriguez (knee), Gardos (hamstring).
Liverpool have added few quality youngsters in their squad after the departure of star striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona. They have almost strengthened all the departments. Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic and Daniel Agger are the main injury concerns for Brendan Rodgers. New signing Alberto Moreno is ineligible for the game against Southampton. New signing Dejan Lovren is expected to start along side Martin Skrtel as centre-back. Javier Manquillo will start at right-back and Glen Johnson at left-back. Skipper Steven Gerrard, Emre Can and Jordan Henderson are expected to start in central midfield. Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge and Coutinho to play up front. Liverpool will be hoping to take away all three points after impressive display against Borussia Dortmund last week.
Southampton will start their season without key players Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert, all of them have joined Liverpool. Fraser Forster, Ryan Bertrand, Saphir Taïder, Dusan Tadic and Graziano Pellè are all expected to start. Jay Rodriguez is out due to injury.
Brendan Rodgers: “What happened last season counts for nothing but we carry the belief. We want to be competitive. [To] finish in the top four is our objective.
“In the league it is about sustaining Champions League football. I’ve seen some odds and we’re not even in the top four. People will rightly look to [Manchester] City and Chelsea but we are here to challenge.”
Ronald Koeman: “We know it’s a tough game but everyone starts on nil and everyone has to show qualities and I believe we are very well prepared to play.
“I know what it is to win at Anfield and they will have to play well to beat us.”
- Last year’s 1-0 win over Stoke was Liverpool’s first victory on the opening weekend in five seasons (D2 L2).
- Seven of Southampton’s last eight opening games in the Premier League have been away from home. They have won just two of the previous seven (D2 L3).
- Southampton enjoyed a 1-0 win when they visited Anfield in the Premier League last season.
- Dejan Lovren scored the winning goal in this fixture at Anfield last season while playing for Southampton (0-1).
- Liverpool’s new forward Rickie Lambert scored 28 Premier League goals over the last two seasons for Southampton; seven more than any other Saints player.
- Steven Gerrard ended the 2013/14 season with the most assists in the division (13) and is now fourth in the all time Premier League list with 91.
- Liverpool fired in 258 shots on target last season, more than any other team in the Premier League.
- Dusan Tadic created 133 goalscoring chances in the Dutch Eredivisie last season for FC Twente; 46 more than any other player.
- Daniel Sturridge’s goals won Liverpool 20 points in the Premier League last season; more than any other player for their side.
- On the last occasion Liverpool finished second (2008-09) they finished outside the top six in the following season (7th).
Liverpool 2-0 Southampton
Daniel Sturridge, Coutinho and Javier Manquillo.
ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Squad Rating of the Participating 10 Teams
We are just a month away from the start of the most awaited cricketing event in 4 years which is…
IPL 2019: Ashok Dinda Hits Back At The Trollers, Ask Them Keep Him Out of Their Mouth
The veteran Bengal fast bowler Ashok Dinda has been at heart of the social media trolls in the ongoing season…