Arsenal F.C is one of the top English Football teams to have represented the league in various international competitions. Truly, the club’s recent performance has influenced the most committed fans to question the club’s greatness. For instance: the 2021/2022 season of the Premier League 2021 game began with high expectations from every football fan. The fans of Chelsea F.C, Manchester United, Liverpool, and many top teams remained strong in believing their teams to do amazing things as the Premier League started. While Arsenal fans would have said to have a similar belief, this was shattered after the team played two matches. Arsenal F.C lost the first match against Brentford, a team that recently emerged from relegation. This is after losing two friendly matches against Chelsea, and Tottenham Hotspur.
This early loss has placed a lot of doubt in the mind of fans concerning what to expect from their favorite club. Hence, the necessity to expose football lovers from around the world to the things many don’t know about Arsenal F.C
10 Things you Don’t Know about Arsenal F.C
- While it is popularly quoted that Arsenal is the only team that has never been relegated, it is not true. Arsenal was relegated once in 1913. At the time, the club was named Woolwich Arsenal. Since 1913, the team has not been relegated.
- Arsenal won the Premier League title in 2003/2004 without losing a single match. To reward their extraordinary performance, the team received a golden Premier League Trophy. This is, however, the last time the team won the Premier League trophy.
- In January 1927, the Arsenal match against Sheffield United with a score of 1:1 was the first football match to be covered live by the British Broadcasting Corporation. At the time, it was the first time this was happening.
- Arsenal’s Arsene Wenger, a French, was the first foreign football manager to win a major league title in England.
- Arsenal kept the longest streak for consecutive unbeaten games in the Champion’s League. This was in 2006. Unfortunately, they lost the final to Barcelona.
- Arsenal was the first football team whose match was covered live on television. It was a match between Arsenal’s main team against the reserves in September 1937.
- In 2010 also, Arsenal’s match against Manchester United was the first football match that was broadcast on television in 3D.
- The name Arsenal and the nickname “Gunners” reflect the background of the individuals who formed the club. A group of cannon makers residing at the Woolwich Arsenal formed the club in 1886.
- There is no other club in England that has beaten A.C Milan and Inter Milan at the San Siro. They did against AC Milan in 2008 and also against Inter Milan in 2003.
- Arsenal F.C has changed its name five times. The club was first known as “Dial Square”, then “Royal Arsenal”, then “Woolwich Arsenal”, and “The Arsenal” before it eventually started identifying as “Arsenal F.C” in 1919.
Although it may seem like the club is losing its feet among great English clubs, it has exceptional antecedents of greatness. It is said that difficult times don’t last. Hence, the belief that the club, despite losing its first match this season will emerge stronger to make all the fans proud.