English limited-overs captain Eoin Morgan has recently claimed that they are ready to begin their Cricket World Cup journey. He believes that they are currently in the best position to compete in the upcoming tournament.
Since the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy, England has performed consistently, especially in ODI cricket. Out of their last 40 ODIs since the Champions Trophy, England has won 28 ODIs and lost only eight ODIs (other four had no results). However, their recent home record is more brutal. Since the last Champions Trophy, England has played 18 home ODIs where they have won 15 ODIs and lost only once (two had no results).
After reclaiming the no.1 position in ODI ranking in May 2018, England has maintained this position very well till the date.
Recently, the host side England outclassed Pakistan in the five-match home ODI series. While the first ODI had no result due to rain washout, England won the next four ODIs with their batting dominance.
English limited-overs captain Eoin Morgan is confident enough about his team. He has claimed that they are ready to start their Cricket World Cup journey immediately.
Morgan told during their World Cup kit launch on Tuesday (21st May), “We’re as ready as we can be. We’re positioned in the best possible place at the moment. We’d like to start playing tomorrow.”
I could never have seen those at the start of 2015 – Eoin Morgan
Just ahead of the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup, Morgan took the regular captaincy role of English limited-overs cricket team. Soon, Morgan-led England suffered a shocking early Group Stage exit from the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
However, the team has hugely changed since then. England is now one of the hot favourites to win the upcoming Cricket World Cup where they will participate as the host side (England and Wales).
Morgan has admitted that their recent growth has also surprised him.
He added, “Our exceptional days are better than we could have imagined – the world records – I could never have seen those at the start of 2015.”
Joe and Dave missing out is extremely unfortunate – Eoin Morgan
On last Tuesday (21st May), England has announced the final 15-member squad for the upcoming Cricket World Cup. While the selectors have not backed Alex Hales, Joe Denly and David Willey have also missed out this World Cup squad. As the replacements, the selectors have chosen Jofra Archer, Liam Dawson and James Vince.
Talking about Denly and Willey’s missing out from the Cricket World Cup squad, Morgan has claimed that those were extremely unfortunate. However, he has also added that they can be the first priority if an injury occurs.
Morgan said, “They were extremely tough decisions. Joe and Dave missing out is extremely unfortunate. I spoke to Dave and Joe last night and obviously said the longer term, with the length of the tournament we are likely to get injuries – they are next in line, no doubt about that.”
The 2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup will run from 30th May to 14th July. The home team England will play the opening match of the tournament against South Africa at The Oval (London).