ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 (Match 14): India vs Australia – Statistical Highlights
India secured a memorable victory against Australia on Sunday (9th June) in the match 14 of the 2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup at The Oval (London). India beat the defending champions Australia by 36 runs.
After winning the toss, India put a giant first innings total of 352/5 in 50 overs. In reply, Australia was bundled out for 316 runs (50 overs).
Brief Scores: India – 352/5 in 50 overs (Shikhar Dhawan 117, Virat Kohli 82; Marcus Stoinis 2/62)
Australia – 316 in 50 overs (Steven Smith 69, David Warner 56; Bhuvneshwar Kumar 3/50)
Result – India won by 36 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) India scored 352/5 in 50 overs.
- It is the highest total for India against Australia in Cricket World Cup history. Their previous record was 289/6 (50 overs) at Delhi on 22nd October 1987.
ii) India won this match by 36 runs.
- In the Cricket World Cup history, it is India’s second victory against Australia outside India. Their first victory was at Chelmsford on 20th June 1983 (India beat Australia by 118 runs).
i) Australia failed to chase the 353 runs target.
- Since the 1999 Cricket World Cup, it is the first time when Australia failed to chase a target in the Cricket World Cup. Before this defeat, last time Australia failed to chase a CWC target against Pakistan at Leeds on 23rd May 1999. In between this period, Australia managed 19 successive chases in CWC history.
i) Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma has scored 2,037 ODI runs against Australia.
- After Sachin Tendulkar (3,077 runs), Rohit Sharma is the only second Indian batsman to score 2,000 ODI runs.
- Rohit Sharma is the fourth batsman to score 2,000+ ODI runs against Australia. While Sachin Tendulkar (3,077 runs) is leading this table, the former West Indies cricketers Desmond Haynes (2,262 runs) and Sir Viv Richards (2,187 runs) were the other two players to achieve this feat.
i) Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan scored 117 runs.
- It is the highest individual score by an Indian batsman against Australia in Cricket World Cup history. The previous record holder was Ajay Jadeja with 100* at The Oval on 4th June 1999.
- It is the third highest individual score by any batsman against Australia in Cricket World Cup history. The top two record holders are Zimbabwe cricketer Neil Johnson (132* at Lord’s on 9th June 1999) and New Zealand cricketer Chris Cairns (130 at Chennai on 11th March 1996).
ii) The left-handed opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan has scored 9,105 runs in the international career.
- Shikhar Dhawan is the fourth Indian left-handed batsman to score 9,000+ international runs.
- Shikhar Dhawan is the fifth Indian opening batsman to score 9,000+ international runs.
i) Indian captain Virat Kohli scored 82 runs off 77 balls.
- It is the second highest individual score by an Indian captain against Australia in Cricket World Cup history. The record is 93 by Mohammad Azharuddin at Brisbane on 1st March 1992.
- Since the 1996 Cricket World Cup, it is the highest individual score by any captain against Australia in Cricket World Cup history.
ii) Indian cricketer Virat Kohli has scored 10,943 ODI runs.
- Virat Kohli becomes the ninth most ODI run-scorer after surpassing the former Indian cricketer Rahul Dravid (10,889 runs).
i) The left-arm Australian pacer Mitchell Starc had the bowling figures of 10-0-74-1.
- It is the most expensive bowling figures by an Australian bowler in Cricket World Cup history. The previous record was 12-0-72-1 by Ashley Mallett against Sri Lanka at The Oval on 11th June 1975.
i) Australian batsman Alex Carey completed his half-century in just 25 balls.
- It is the second fastest half-century by an Australian batsman in Cricket World Cup history. Their record is 21-balls fifty by Glenn Maxwell against Afghanistan at Perth on 4th March 2015.
WWE News: Goldberg Says He Owes A Receipt To The Undertaker
WWE has aired a preview clip from the post-TLC edition of “Broken Skull Sessions” on the WWE Network. It features WWE Hall of Famer Stone Cold Steve Austin as the host and Bill Goldberg as the guest. Seth Rollins Reveals He Texted Dean Ambrose On…
Rumor: Veteran Superstar Claims Mike & Maria Kanellis ‘Misled’ WWE
There has been a lot of speculations over the status of Mike and Maria Kanellis in the WWE. Whereas Mike has requested release from the company, his wife is currently pregnant and in no condition to make an appearance on TV. This makes both their…