India once again dominated over Sri Lanka as the Indian team are totally under control at the stumps of the day 2 of the second Test at Colombo (SSC).
India began the day on their overnight score 344/3 and carried on till 622/9 before making declaration their innings.
In reply, Sri Lanka was 50/2 at the end of the day while they were still trailing by 572 runs.
Brief Scores: India – 622/9 dec. (Cheteshwar Pujara 133, Ajinkya Rahane 132, Rangana Herath 4/154)
Sri Lanka – 50/2 (Dimuth Karunaratne 25, Kusal Mendis 16*, Ravichandran Ashwin 2/38)
Here are some statistical highlights of Day 2 of the 2nd Test:
- Playing 51st Test match, Ravichandran Ashwin completed his 2,000 Test career runs. Ashwin became the fastest cricketer (according to the no.of Test matches) to achieve 2,000 Test career runs along with 250 Test wickets. The previous record holder was Richard Hadlee (New Zealand) who had achieved that similar feat (achieve 2,000 Test career runs along with 250 Test wickets) in 54 Test matches.
- Total six Indian batsmen played 50+ knock during India’s first innings of this Test match. It was the second time when six Indian batsmen played 50+ knock in an away (including neutral venue) Test innings. The first incident happened during the first innings of The Oval Test in 2007 when six Indian batsmen played 50+ innings against the hosts England.
In overall, it was the 7th time when six Indian batsmen scored 50+ runs in the same Test innings. There are no such incidents when more than six Indian batsmen scored 50+ runs in the same Test innings.
- India scored 622/9 before making declaration their innings. It is the second highest Test innings total for India on the Sri Lankan soil. The record is 707 at Colombo (SSC) in 2010.
Also, it (622/9 dec.) is the third highest Test innings total for any visiting team on the Sri Lankan soil. The top two in this list are 707 by India at Colombo (SSC) in 2010 and 638 by Bangladesh at Galle in 2013.
- Three Sri Lankan spinners conceded 100+ runs during India’s first innings. It is the only third time when three Sri Lankan spinners conceded 100+ runs in the same Test innings. The first two incidents were against Australia (3rd innings) at Galle in 2004 and against India (1st innings) at Kanpur in 2007.
- Sri Lankan opening batsman Upul Tharanga scored a duck which was the second time for him against India in his Test career (all as an opener) to score a duck. Tharanga became the first Sri Lankan opening batsman to score a duck against India more than once.
- India scored 600 or more in a test innings 6th time under Virat Kohli’s captaincy. The most by a team under a captain in test cricket.