India vs England Day 3, Fourth Test: Statistical Review
At the end of the day 3 of the fourth Test between India and England at Mumbai, India is looking for a healthy first innings lead. India began the day on their last night score of 146/1 and made 451 for the loss of 7 wickets at the stumps on day 3.
At the end of the day, India is leading by 51 runs over England.
Brief Scores: England – 400 (Keaton Jennings 112, Jos Buttler 76, Ravichandran Ashwin 6/112)
India – 451/7 (Virat Kohli 147*, Murali Vijay 136, Joe Root 2/18)
Here are some statistical highlights of day 3 of the 4th Test:
- Indian opening batsman Murali Vijay hit a brilliant century as he scored 136 runs before his dismissal. Murali Vijay became the 3rd Indian opening batsman to hit a Test century at Wankhede Stadium. The other two Indian opening batsmen to hit a Test century at Wankhede Stadium are Sunil Gavaskar (5 times) and Virender Sehwag (once in 2002)
Also Murali Vijay is the second Indian opening batsman to hit a Test century against England at Wankhede Stadium. The first Indian opening batsman in this list was Sunil Gavaskar (108 in 1977)
- After dismissing Indian batsman Parthiv Patel, England’s Jonny Bairstow became the wicket-keeper with most no. of catches in a calendar year. Bairstow surpassed former South African wicketkeeper Mark Boucher’s record, who had taken 65 catches as a Test wicket-keeper in 1998.
- On day 3, Indian Test skipper Virat Kohli completed his 4,000 Test career runs. Kohli became 14th Indian Test batsman to score 4,000 Test runs. Kohli took total 89 innings to complete 4,000 Test career runs which is 6th fastest by an Indian batsman.
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli crossed 500 runs in this Test series. At the end of the day, Kohli has scored 552 runs in this Test series. Kohli became only 2nd Indian captain to score 500+ runs in a Test series. Sunil Gavaskar was the first Indian captain to achieve this feat as he did this twice as Indian Test captain and those are 732 runs against West Indies in 1978-79 and 500 runs against England in 1981-82.
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli hit another impressive hundred on day 3. At the end of day 3, Kohli remains unbeaten on 147 runs. Now we look out some important stats for Kohli’s this century, which are as follows:
i) Virat Kohli became the 2nd Indian Test captain to hit two centuries against England on Indian soil. The first Indian Test captain to achieve this feat was Vijay Hazare. Till date, none of Indian captains have been able to hit more than 2 Test centuries against England on Indian soil.
ii) Virat Kohli became the 3rd Indian Test captain to hit century at Wankhede Stadium (Mumbai). Sunil Gavaskar (twice) and Sachin Tendulkar (once) were the other two Indian Test captains who had hit centuries at Wankhede Stadium.
iii) Virat Kohli became the 2nd non-opening Indian Test captain to hit a century at Wankhede Stadium. The first Indian Test captain in this list was Sachin Tendulkar (148 against Sri Lanka in 1997).
iv) This century was Virat Kohli’s 8th Test century as Indian captain which is the third most no. of Test centuries by an Indian Test captain. The top two Indian Test captains in this list were: Sunil Gavaskar (11 Test centuries as captain) and Mohammad Azharuddin (9 Test centuries as captain).
- As an Indian Test captain, Virat Kohli became the highest runs scorer in a calendar year. At the end of the day, Kohli remained unbeaten on 147 runs as he has already scored 1,112 Test runs in 2016. The previous highest was 1,095 Test runs by former Indian skipper Rahul Dravid (in 2006).
Virat Kohli became 3rd Indian Test captain to score 1,000+ runs in a calendar year. Apart from Kohli and Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar was the first Indian Test captain to score 1,000+ Test runs in a calendar year (1,000 Test runs in 1997).
Zimbabwe Cancels Their Upcoming Bangladesh Tour
Since the International Cricket Council (ICC) has suspended the Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC), their international cricket future has come under the…
Impressive Kona Srikar Bharat Can Be India’s Surprise Choice For The Upcoming Test Series In West Indies
The national selectors will meet on this Sunday (21st July) to select the Indian squad for the upcoming tour West…