India Vs South Africa 2019/20: Third Test (Day One) – Statistical Highlights
On Saturday (19th October), the hosts India and the visitors South Africa have started the third and final Test of the series at JSCA International Stadium Complex (Ranchi).
After winning the toss, India decided to bat first. India have scored 224/3 at the stumps of day one after the strong batting of Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane.
Brief Scores: India – 224/3 (Rohit Sharma 117*, Ajinkya Rahane 83*; Kagiso Rabada 2/54)
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the day:
i) In the first innings of this Test, the hosts India lost their first three wickets in just 39 runs.
- In the Test match history, it was the third-lowest first innings total for India against South Africa when they lost three wickets. India’s two lowest totals in this list are 27/3 (at Centurion in December 2010) and 30/3 (at Ahmedabad in April 2008).
Rohit Sharma (India)
i) Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma hit his ninth international century as an opener in 2019.
- It is the joint-most number of international centuries for an opener in a calendar year. Sachin Tendulkar (1998), Graeme Smith (2005) and David Warner (2016) are also in the leading position with nine international centuries as an opener in a calendar year.
ii) Indian opener Rohit Sharma has scored three centuries in the ongoing three-match Test series against South Africa.
- Rohit Sharma is the second Indian opener who hit at least three centuries in a Test series. Sunil Gavaskar was the first Indian opener to achieve this feat as he hit four centuries in the Test series for twice and three centuries in one more Test series.
iii) Rohit Sharma has already hit 17 sixes in this Test series.
- It is the most number of sixes for a batsman in a Test series. The previous record was 15 sixes by Shimron Hetmyer (Windies) during the 2018 Test series in Bangladesh.
iv) Rohit Sharma has already scored 434 runs in this Test series.
- It is the most runs for an Indian batsman in the Test series against South Africa. The previous record was 388 runs by Mohammad Azharuddin during South Africa tour in India 1996.
- It is also the second most runs by an opener in the three-match Test series against South Africa. The record is 543 runs by David Warner (Australia) in the away Test series in 2014.
Rohit Sharma and Mayank Agarwal (India)
i) Indian openers Rohit Sharma and Mayank Agarwal have hit a total of five centuries in this Test series.
- It is the joint-most number of centuries by the openers of a team in the three-match Test series. During the South Africa tour of Australia in 2001/02, Australian openers hit a total of five centuries in the three-match Test series.
Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane (India)
i) Indian batsmen Rohit Sharma and Ajinkya Rahane put the 185 runs unbroken partnership for the fourth wicket.
- It is the highest fourth-wicket Test partnership for India against South Africa. The previous record was 179 runs partnership between Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane at Pune in October 2019.
Naseem Shah Will Not Return Home To Attend His Mother’s Funeral
The 16-year-old Pakistani cricketer, Naseem Shah, lost his mother on Monday night. He was playing the practice match against Australia A when the player got the dreadful news of his mother’s demise. But the player didn’t leave the match in between. In the three-day practice…
Michal Hussey Advises Babar Azam To Become Best Player
Pakistan right-hand batsman Babar Azam is among one of the best cricketers. He is No.1 batsman in T20I and No.3 batsman in ODI ranking. But still, his name is not taken when talked about elites or best player. Former Australian cricketer Michael Hussey opined the…