On Wednesday (18th December), in the second game of the three-match ODI series against Windies, the hosts India clinched a big victory by 107 runs and levelled the series by 1-1 with one to go.
After losing the toss, the hosts set the mammoth target of 388 runs as they scored 387/5 (50 overs) in the first innings. Chasing down that giant target, Windies were bowled out for 280 runs (43.3 overs).
Brief Scores: India – 387/5 in 50 overs (Rohit Sharma 159, KL Rahul 102; Sheldon Cottrell 2/83)
Windies – 280 in 43.3 overs (Shai Hope 78, Nicholas Pooran 75; Mohammed Shami 3/39)
Result – India won by 107 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) Coming to bat first, India scored 387/5 (50 overs).
- It was the second-highest ODI total for India against Windies. Their record total is 418/5 (50 overs) at Indore on 8th December 2011.
i) It was the 400th international match for Virat Kohli.
- Virat Kohli became the seventh cricketer to play 400 international matches for India.
- Virat Kohli became the eighth Indian cricketer to play 400 international matches.
Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul
- It was the second-best ODI partnership for India against Windies. The record is 246 runs partnership for the second wicket between Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli (at Guwahati on 21st October 2018).
- It was the third-longest opening partnership (by the number of balls; 222 balls) for India in ODI history.
- In overall, it was the fourth-highest opening partnership for India in ODI history.
i) Opening batsman Rohit Sharma has hit 10 international centuries in this calendar year (2019).
- It is the most number of international centuries for an opening batsman in a calendar year.
ii) In 2019, Rohit Sharma has hit seven ODI centuries.
- It is the joint second-most ODI centuries for a batsman in a calendar year. The record is nine ODI centuries which legendary Sachin Tendulkar did in 1998.
iii) In 2019, Rohit Sharma has hit 77 sixes in international cricket.
- It is the most number of sixes in international cricket by a batsman in a calendar year. The previous record-holder was also Rohit Sharma with 74 international sixes in 2018.
iv) Opener Rohit Sharma scored 159 runs.
- It is the third-highest individual ODI score by an Indian cricketer against Windies. The top two record holders in this list are Virender Sehwag with 219 runs (at Indore on 8th December 2011) and Rohit Sharma with 162 runs (at Mumbai, Brabourne Stadium on 29th October 2013).
Shreyas Iyer and Rishabh Pant
- It was the most runs off an ODI over by India. The previous record was 28 runs in an over which Sachin Tendulkar and Ajay Jadeja partnership managed to score against New Zealand pacer Chris Drum at Hyderabad on 8th November 1999.
i) The left-arm chinaman Kuldeep Yadav managed his second hat-trick in ODI career.
- Kuldeep Yadav is the first Indian bowler to register more than one hat-trick in international cricket.
- Kuldeep Yadav is the sixth bowler to register more than one hat-trick in ODI career.
i) During India’s 47th over, off-spinner Roston Chase conceded 30 runs (excluding one bye).
- It was the second most expensive ODI over by a Windies bowler. The record is conceding 34 runs in an over against South Africa (AB de Villiers was batsman) during Sydney ODI on 27th February 2015.
i) Windies left-arm pace bowler Sheldon Cottrell had the bowling figures of 9-0-83-2.
- It is the most expensive ODI bowling figures by a Windies left-arm bowler. The previous record was 10-0-79-0 by the left-arm spinner Sulieman Benn (against South Africa at Sydney on 27th February 2015).
India vs Windies
Virat Kohli and Kieron Pollard
- In ODI cricket history, it was the first time when both teams’ captains scored the golden ducks in the same game.