Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) secured their place in the playoffs after beating Gujarat Lions (GL) on Saturday at Green Park (Kanpur). SRH decided to field first after winning the toss. Despite a 100+ opening partnership, GL were bundled out for just 154 runs (19.2 overs).
In reply, SRH (158/2 in 18.1 overs) lost only just 2 wickets to reach the target successfully. SRH won this match by 8 wickets with 11 balls to spare.
Brief Scores: Gujarat Lions (GL) – 154 in 19.2 overs (Ishan Kishan 61, Dwayne Smith 54, Mohammed Siraj 4/32)
Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) – 158/2 in 18.1 overs (David Warner 69*, Vijay Shankar 63*, Praveen Kumar 2/22)
Result – SRH won by 8 wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match
- GL batsmen Ishan Kishan and Dwayne Smith put on a superb 111 runs partnership for the opening wicket. It is the third highest partnership for GL. The top two in this list are 133 between Suresh Raina and Dinesh Karthik for the 3rd wicket (against Delhi Daredevils at Delhi on 4th May 2017) and 112 between Dwayne Smith and Brendon McCullum for the 1st wicket (against Delhi Daredevils at Delhi on 27th April 2016).
- In the GL’s innings, total 6 batsmen were dismissed through bowled. It is the joint second most no. of bowled dismissals in an IPL innings. The record is 7 bowled dismissals during the KXIP’s (Kings XI Punjab) innings against RCB (Royal Challengers Bangalore) at Bengaluru on 6th May 2015.
- SRH batsman David Warner scored another brilliant half-century as he scored an unbeaten 69 runs. It was Warner’s 27th 50+ knock for SRH in IPL history. With this 50+ knock, Warner became the joint second most no.of the 50+ scorer for a team in IPL history. Gautam Gambhir has also same no.of 50+ innings (27 times) in IPL for KKR (Kolkata Knight Riders).
However, the record holder is Virat Kohli with 33 times 50+ knock in IPL for RCB (Royal Challengers Bangalore).
- SRH batsmen David Warner and Vijay Shankar put on a match-winning unbeaten 133 runs partnership for the 3rd wicket. Here are some important stats of this partnership:
i) It is the fourth highest partnership in SRH history for any wicket.
ii) It is the highest 3rd wicket partnership for SRH. Their previous highest 3rd wicket partnership was 111 runs between KL Rahul and David Warner against MI (Mumbai Indians) at Dubai on 30th April 2014.
iii) It is the second highest partnership in SRH history for any wicket during chasing in a match. Their record is 137* runs partnership between David Warner and Shikhar Dhawan against GL (Gujarat Lions) at Rajkot on 21st April 2017.
iv) Also, it is the second highest 3rd wicket partnership in IPL history during a chasing. The record is 134 runs partnership between Quinton de Kock and Karun Nair (Delhi Daredevils) against RCB (Royal Challengers Bangalore) at Bengaluru on 17th April 2016.
- At the age of 18 years and 299 days, GL batsman Ishan Kishan scored a superb half-century in this match as he scored 61 runs. With this knock, Ishan became the third youngest cricketer in IPL history to play a 50+ knock. The top two youngest cricketers in this list are Sanju Samson at the age of 18 years and 169 days and Rishabh Pant at the age of 18 years and 212 days.
- During their innings, GL lost their 10 wickets for just 43 runs. After a century partnership for the opening wicket, it is the worst 10-wicket collapse for that side in T20 history.
- SRH scored 158 runs (158/2) without hitting any sixes. It is the highest total in IPL history without hitting any sixes. The previous record was 152 runs (152/7 in 20 overs) which were scored by RPS (Rising Pune Supergiant) against KXIP (Kings XI Punjab) at Mohali on 17th April 2016.