On Sunday night, Gujarat Lions (GL) snatched a thrilling victory against Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) at Mohali. Gujarat Lions decided to bowl first after winning the toss. Thanks to another superb century from Hashim Amla, KXIP managed to score 189/3 at the end of 20 overs.
In reply, GL reached the target in 19.4 overs after losing 4 wickets. GL won this match by 6 wickets.
Brief Scores: Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) – 189/3 in 20 overs (Hashim Amla 104, Shaun Marsh 58, Dhawal Kulkarni 1/24)
Gujarat Lions (GL) – 192/4 in 19.4 overs (Dwayne Smith 74, Suresh Raina 39, Sandeep Sharma 2/29)
Result – GL won by 6 wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match
- KXIP batsman Shaun Marsh completed 1,000 runs in his T20 career at Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium (Mohali, Chandigarh). At the end of the match, Marsh has scored 1,053 runs in his T20 career at this venue. He became the first batsman to score 1,000+ T20 runs at this venue.
On the other hand, Shaun Marsh (1,170 runs) has also scored 1,000+ T20 runs at W.A.C.A Ground (Perth). Marsh became the first batsman to score 1,000+ T20 runs in two different venues.
- KXIP batsmen Hashim Amla and Shaun Marsh put an important 125 runs partnership for the 2nd wicket. It is the third highest 2nd wicket partnership for KXIP. Their top two 2nd wicket partnerships are 206 runs between Adam Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh (against Royal Challengers Bangalore at Dharamsala on 17th May 2011) and 133 runs between Shaun Marsh and Luke Pomersbach (against Mumbai Indians at Mumbai on 21st May 2008).
- KXIP batsman Hashim Amla scored a brilliant century in this match as he scored 104 runs. Here are some important stats of his century:
i) It is the second IPL century for Hashim Amla and both came in the ongoing season (IPL 2017). Amla became the third batsman to score more than one century in an IPL season. The other two batsmen were: Chris Gayle (scored 2 centuries in 2011 IPL) and Virat Kohli (scored 4 centuries in 2016 IPL).
ii) It is the 9th century for KXIP.
iii) Hashim Amla completed his century in 59 balls which is the slowest century by a KXIP batsman. The previous record holder was also Hashim Amla who had completed his previous IPL century in 58 balls (against Mumbai Indians at Indore on 20th April 2017).
- During this match, GL skipper Suresh Raina (4,532 runs) completed 4,500 runs in his IPL career. He became the first batsman to score 4,500 runs in IPL.
- GL successfully chased down the target of 190 runs as they scored 192/4 in 19.4 overs. It is the second highest chase for GL. Their highest runs chase is 196 runs (196/7 in 20 overs) against RPS (Rising Pune Supergiants) at Pune on 29th April 2016.