Rajasthan Royals (RR) finally achieved their first victory in IPL 2019 after beating Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Sawai Mansingh Stadium (Jaipur) on Tuesday (2nd March) night. Meanwhile, RCB has remained winless in this IPL season after this match.
RR captain Ajinkya Rahane decided to field first after winning the toss. In the first innings of the match, RCB managed to score 158/4 (20 overs). In reply, RR reached their target in 19.5 overs after losing three wickets.
Brief Scores: RCB – 158/4 in 20 overs (Parthiv Patel 67, Marcus Stoinis 31; Shreyas Gopal 3/12)
RR – 164/3 in 19.5 overs (Jos Buttler 59, Steven Smith 38; Yuzvendra Chahal 2/17)
Result – RR won by seven wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) RR won the match by seven wickets.
- It is the joint largest victory (by wickets) for RR against RCB. Previously, RR beat RCB twice by seven wickets.
i) It was the fourth consecutive defeat for RCB in this season.
- For the first time in their IPL history, RCB lost their first four matches of a season.
ii) It was RCB’s fifth consecutive IPL defeat.
- It is the joint most consecutive defeats for RCB. Previously, they suffered five-match consecutive defeats for twice.
i) It was the 100th IPL match for Virat Kohli as a captain. In his IPL career, Virat Kohli has only played for RCB.
- Virat Kohli became the third IPL captain to lead 100 or more matches. MS Dhoni (162*) and Gautam Gambhir (129) were the first two IPL captains to achieve this feat.
i) By the end of this match, Parthiv Patel has scored 4,010 T20 runs.
- Parthiv Patel is the 16th Indian cricketer to score 4,000 or more T20 runs.
i) RR leg-spinner Shreyas Gopal had the bowling figures of 4-1-12-3 with the economy rate of 3.00.
- It was the second best economy rate in an innings by a RR spinner who completed his four-over quota. The record holder is Pravin Tambe with the economy rate of 2.50 (4-0-10-3) against Chennai Super Kings at Jaipur on 4th October 2013.