On Saturday (30th March) evening, the host side Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) clinched a comfortable eight-wicket victory (with eight balls remaining) against the visiting team Mumbai Indians (MI) at Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium (Mohali).
After winning the toss, KXIP captain Ravichandran Ashwin decided to field first. The visiting side managed to score 176/7 (20 overs) in the first innings. However, the host side chased down that target comfortably in 18.4 overs after losing just two wickets.
Brief Scores: MI – 176/7 in 20 overs (Quinton de Kock 60, Rohit Sharma 32; Murugan Ashwin 2/25)
KXIP – 177/2 in 18.4 overs (KL Rahul 71*, Mayank Agarwal 43; Krunal Pandya 2/43)
Result – KXIP won by eight wickets.
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) MI scored 176/7 in 20 overs.
- It was the second highest T20 total for MI at Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium (Mohali). Their record is 189/6 (20 overs) against KXIP on 25th April 2016.
i) KXIP won that match by eight wickets.
- It is KXIP’s largest T20 victory (by wickets) against MI. Their previous record was winning by seven wickets at Visakhapatnam on 13th May 2016.
- It was KXIP’s first victory against MI at Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium (Mohali) since May 2011. Before this victory, the host side KXIP faced four consecutive defeats against MI at this venue. Their previous victory against MI at this venue was on 10th May 2011.
i) By the end of this match, the Australian pacer Andrew Tye has picked up 26 T20 wickets for KXIP.
- Andrew Tye is the second most wicket-taker for KXIP as an Australian bowler. During this match, he surpassed Ryan Harris who picked up 25 T20 wickets for this side. Mitchell Johnson is leading the table with 28 T20 wickets for this side.
i) By the end of this match, Chris Gayle has hit 302 IPL sixes.
- Chris Gayle is the first batsman to hit 300 IPL sixes.
ii) By the end of this match, Chris Gayle has scored 582 T20 runs against MI.
- Chris Gayle is the most T20 run-scorer as a non-Indian batsman against MI. After this match, Chris Gayle surpassed AB de Villiers who has scored 581 T20 runs against MI.