The much-awaited IPL 2020 is ready to begin. On this Saturday (19th September) evening, the defending champions Mumbai Indians (MI) will face the last season’s runners-up Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in the opening game of the IPL 2020 at Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium (Abu Dhabi).
Both MI and CSK were the finalists in the IPL 2019, where the Mumbai Indians became the first team to win four IPL trophies after beating the three-time IPL trophy winners Chennai Super Kings by just one run.
However, they have now entered into the new season where both the teams are eyeing to make their fresh start in the IPL 2020.
Let’s look at some crucial stats preview before the IPL 2020 opening match between MI vs CSK
Head-to-head records between MI vs CSK
|Stats||Matches||MI Won||CSK Won||Tied (W/L)/No Result|
|In Tournament opener||3||2||1||0/0|
|In last 5 matches||5||5||0||0/0|
|In IPL 2019||4||4||0||0/0|
- Streaks running: Mumbai Indians won all the last five meetings against Chennai Super Kings, including winning all their four meetings in the last IPL season. The Chennai Super Kings won their last match against Mumbai Indians during the IPL 2018 opener on 7th April 2018 at Mumbai (by one wicket).
Records of MI and CSK during their respective first match of every IPL season
|Team||Matches||Won||Lost||Tied (W/L)||No Result|
- Since 2013, Mumbai Indians have never won their first game in an IPL season. From 2013 to 2019, they lost all their seven IPL tournament openers.
- Since 2015, Chennai Super Kings have never suffered defeat in their IPL tournament openers as they have won their last all three straight IPL season openers (excluding 2016 and 2017, where they didn’t participate in the IPL due to suspensions).
Important stats between MI vs CSK
|Stats||MI (vs CSK)||CSK (vs MI)|
|Highest total||202/7 (20 overs) at Chennai on 23rd April 2008 & 202/5 at Kolkata on 24th May 2015||208/5 (20 overs) at Chennai on 23rd April 2008|
|Lowest completed total||139/5 (20 overs) at Mumbai on 5th May 2013||79 (15.2 overs) at Mumbai on 5th May 2013|
|Largest victory (by runs)||60 runs at Mumbai on 5th May 2013||48 runs at Delhi on 21st May 2013|
|Largest victory (by wickets)||9 wickets at Mumbai on 14th May 2008||7 wickets for thrice|
(Top players’ stats)
|Stats||MI (vs CSK)||CSK (vs MI)|
|Highest individual score||114* by Sanath Jayasuriya at Mumbai on 14th May 2008||86* by Michael Hussey at Delhi on 21st May 2013|
|Best bowling figures||5/18 by Harbhajan Singh at Mumbai on 22nd April 2011||4/14 by Mohit Sharma at Dubai (DSC) on 25th April 2014|
|Most runs scored||646 runs by Rohit Sharma||730 runs by Suresh Raina|
|Most wickets||37 wickets by Lasith Malinga||27 wickets by Dwayne Bravo|
Other important stats
Mumbai Indians (MI)
- Rohit Sharma (4898 runs) is 102 runs away to complete his 5000 IPL runs. After Suresh Raina (5368 runs) and Virat Kohli (5412 runs), Rohit will be the third cricketer to score 5000 IPL runs.
- Suryakumar Yadav (983 runs) is 17 runs behind to complete his 1000 T20 runs for MI. A total of six batsmen have scored 1000 T20 runs for MI.
Chennai Super Kings (CSK)
- MS Dhoni (4432 runs) is 68 runs away to complete his 4500 IPL runs. Till the date, a total of five batsmen have managed to score 4500 runs in IPL history.
- Ravindra Jadeja (1927 runs) is 73 runs behind to complete his 2000 IPL runs. Meanwhile, the 10th most IPL wicket-taker Jadeja has also taken 108 IPL wickets. By completing 2000 IPL runs, Jadeja will become the first IPL cricketer to score 2000 runs as well as claim 100+ wickets.
- Shane Watson (953 runs) is 47 runs away to complete his 1000 runs for CSK. He will be the 11th batsman to score 1000 T20 runs for CSK.
- Dwayne Bravo (1483 runs) is 17 runs behind to complete his 1500 IPL runs. Also, Bravo is three wickets away to complete 150 IPL wickets. No IPL all-rounder has managed to score 1500 IPL runs as well as take 150 IPL wickets. Also, Bravo will be the fifth bowler to claim 150 IPL wickets.
- Dwayne Bravo (118 wickets) is three wickets away to become the most wicket-taker for CSK. He is currently the second most T20 wicket-taker for CSK as their former off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin is leading this table with 120 wickets.
- Dwayne Bravo (927 runs) needs to score 73 more runs to complete his 1000 IPL runs for CSK.