On Saturday (10th October), Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) snatched a stunning 2-run victory against Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) at Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium (Abu Dhabi) in the 24th match of the IPL 2020.
Kolkata Knight Riders captain Dinesh Karthik decided to bat first after winning the toss. Kolkata Knight Riders scored 164/6 (20 overs) at the end of the first innings. In reply, Kings XI Punjab scored 162/5 (20 overs).
Brief Scores: KKR – 164/6 in 20 overs (Dinesh Karthik 58, Shubman Gill 57; Arshdeep Singh 1/25)
KXIP – 162/5 in 20 overs (KL Rahul 74, Mayank Agarwal 56; Prasidh Krishna 3/29)
The Result – KKR won by 2 runs.
Also Read: IPL 2020 – Latest Points Table
IPL 2020, Match 24: Kings XI Punjab vs Kolkata Knight Riders (KXIP vs KKR) – Statistical Highlights
Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) – the smallest victory margin
i) KKR won this match by 2 runs.
- It was the joint smallest victory margin for KKR (by runs) against any team. Before this match, they once beat Auckland (at Hyderabad, Deccan on 19th September 2011) and Royal Challengers Bangalore (at Sharjah on 24th April 2014) by 2 runs each.
- It was the fourth successive victory for KKR against KXIP. Previously, once KKR managed to claim eight successive wins against KXIP (2014-2017).
Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) – 2nd smallest defeat margin
i) KXIP lost this match by 2 runs.
- It was the second smallest defeat margin for KXIP against any team. On 9th May 2016, Royal Challengers Bangalore defeated Kings XI Punjab by only 1 run and it is still the smallest defeat margin for Punjab franchise.
Kings XI Punjab (KXIP)
KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal – one of the best partnerships
- It was the third-highest partnership for KXIP against KKR for any wicket.
Top three partnerships for any wicket for Kings XI Punjab against Kolkata Knight Riders
|Partner||Partnership runs||Partnership wicket||Venue||Date|
|Wriddhiman Saha and Manan Vohra||129||3rd||Bengaluru||1st June 2014|
|KL Rahul and Chris Gayle||116||1st||Kolkata||21st April 2018|
|KL Rahul and Mayank Agarwal||115||1st||Abu Dhabi||10th October 2020|
Also Read: IPL 2020 – Most Run-Scorers (Orange Cap)
Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR)
Sunil Narine – joint 2nd most T20 wicket-taker
i) Caribbean off-spinner Sunil Narine has taken 390 T20 wickets.
- Sunil Narine became the joint-second most wicket-taker in T20 cricket history by equalling the record of Sri Lankan right-arm pacer Lasith Malinga’s 390 T20 wickets. Caribbean right-arm pacer Dwayne Bravo is leading this list with 509 T20 wickets.