On Tuesday (22nd September), Rajasthan Royals (RR) beat Chennai Super Kings (CSK) by 16 runs in their opening game of the IPL 2020 at Sharjah Cricket Stadium (Sharjah).
After winning the toss, CSK captain MS Dhoni sent Rajasthan Royals to bat first. Rajasthan Royals scored 216/7 (20 overs) in the first innings. In reply, CSK managed to score 200/6 (20 overs).
Brief Scores: RR – 216/7 in 20 overs (Sanju Samson 74, Steven Smith 69; Sam Curran 3/33)
CSK – 200/6 in 20 overs (Faf du Plessis 72, Shane Watson 33; Rahul Tewatia 3/37)
The result – RR won by 16 runs
IPL 2020, Match 4: Rajasthan Royals vs Chennai Super Kings (RR vs CSK) – Statistical Highlights
Rajasthan Royals (RR)
i) In the first innings of this match, Rajasthan Royals scored 216/7 (20 overs).
- It was the second-highest total for Rajasthan Royals against Chennai Super Kings. Their record total is 223/5 (20 overs) at Chennai on 3rd April 2010.
- It was the fourth-highest T20 total for Rajasthan Royals.
ii) Rajasthan Royals batsmen hit 17 sixes in the first innings.
- It is the most sixes for Rajasthan Royals in an IPL innings. Their previous record was hitting 14 sixes in an IPL innings.
iii) Rajasthan Royals won this match by 16 runs.
- It was the second-largest victory (by runs) for Rajasthan Royals against Chennai Super Kings. Their record in this list is winning by 17 runs at Ahmedabad on 28th March 2010.
- Since their return to the IPL after completing their suspension period, it was the first time when Rajasthan Royals won their opening match of an IPL season. Earlier, they suffered defeats in their opening matches in the IPL 2018 and IPL 2019.
Chennai Super Kings (CSK)
i) Chennai Super Kings scored 200/6 in 20 overs.
- It was the fourth-highest total for CSK against RR.
RR vs CSK
i) The match aggregated score was 416/13.
- It is the highest match aggregated score in IPL history outside India. The previous score was 411/8 between Chennai Super Kings and Kings XI Punjab at Abu Dhabi on 18th April 2014.
- It was the second-highest match aggregated score during the match between RR and CSK. The record is 469/10 at Chennai on 3rd April 2010, which is also an IPL record.
ii) A total of 33 sixes were hit during this entire match.
- It was the joint-most sixes in an IPL match. During the match between Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) at Bengaluru on 25th April 2018, batsmen hit a total of 33 sixes in that complete match.
Rajasthan Royals (RR)
i) Opener Sanju Samson completed his fifty in 19 balls.
- It was the joint-second fastest fifty by a RR batsman in IPL history. Previously, English cricketer Owais Shah scored a 19-ball fifty against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Bengaluru on 15th April 2012. Another English cricketer Jos Buttler is holding the record in this list with the 18-ball fifty against Delhi Capitals (DC) at Delhi on 2nd May 2018.
ii) Sanju Samson scored 74 runs off 32 balls with the help of only four and 9 sixes.
- It was the second most sixes in an innings for a RR batsman. Sanju Samson is also the record holder in this list with 10 sixes against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Bengaluru on 15th April 2018.
iii) Sanju Samson managed to claim four dismissals in this game (2 catches and 2 stumpings).
- It is the joint-most number of dismissals for a RR wicket-keeper. South African wicket-keeper Heinrich Klaasen also managed to claim four dismissals (only catch and three stumpings) against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Jaipur on 19th May 2018.
Steven Smith and Sanju Samson
i) For the second wicket, Steven Smith and Sanju Samson put the partnership of 121 runs.
- It was the joint second-highest partnership for the second wicket for RR. Earlier, Ajinkya Rahane and Owais Shah also put the second-wicket partnership of 121 runs against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Bengaluru on 15th April 2012. Their record in this list is 130 runs partnership between Ajinkya Rahane and Steven Smith against Delhi Capitals (DC) at Jaipur on 22nd April 2019.
- It was the third-highest partnership for any wicket for RR against CSK.
i) The ninth-positioned batsman Jofra Archer scored 27 not out on 8 balls (4 sixes) with the strike-rate of 337.50.
- It is the highest strike-rate for a RR batsman in an innings. The previous record-holder was Chris Morris with the strike-rate of 309.09 (34* off 11 balls) against Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) at Mumbai (Brabourne Stadium) on 7th May 2015.
Chennai Super Kings (CSK)
Faf du Plessis
i) Faf du Plessis has hit 13 T20 fifties for CSK.
- It is the fourth most fifties for a CSK batsman
ii) Faf du Plessis hit 7 sixes in this match.
- It was the second most sixes in an innings for a CSK batsman against RR. The record is 11 sixes by Murali Vijay at Chennai on 3rd April 2010.
iii) South African cricketer Faf du Plessis has scored 1769 IPL runs for CSK.
- Faf du Plessis now becomes the most IPL run-scorer for CSK as an overseas cricketer. During this match, he surpassed the former Australian cricketer Michael Hussey who scored 1768 IPL runs for CSK.