On Wednesday (15th May), Bangladesh beat the host side Ireland by six wickets (with 42 balls remaining) at Castle Avenue (Dublin). It was the last round-robin stage match in the Ireland ODI tri-series. Bangladesh and Windies will play the final of this ODI tri-series on this Friday (17th May) at The Village (Malahide, Dublin). Here we are with some statistical highlights of the match between Ireland and Bangladesh.
After the Irish captain William Porterfield decided to bat first, they managed to score 292/8 (50 overs). Chasing down that target, Bangladesh reached that in 43 overs after losing four wickets.
Brief Scores: Ireland – 292/8 in 50 overs (Paul Stirling 130, William Porterfield 94; Abu Jayed 5/58)
Bangladesh – 294/4 in 43 overs (Liton Das 76, Tamim Iqbal 57; Boyd Rankin 2/48)
Result – Bangladesh won by six wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) Ireland scored 292/8 in 50 overs.
- It is the highest ODI total for Ireland against Bangladesh. Their previous record was 243/7 (50 overs) at Bridgetown on 15 April 2007.
i) Bangladesh successfully chased down the target of 293 runs (294/4) in 43 overs.
- It is the fourth highest successful ODI chase for Bangladesh.
i) Ireland opener Paul Stirling scored 130 runs.
- After William Porterfield, Paul Stirling becomes the second Ireland cricketer to score an ODI century against Bangladesh. On 15th July 2010, Porterfield scored 108 runs against Bangladesh at Belfast.
Paul Stirling-William Porterfield partnership
i) Ireland batsmen Paul Stirling and William Porterfield provided 174 runs partnership for the third wicket.
- It is the highest ODI partnership for Ireland for any wicket in Ireland. Their previous record was 146 runs partnership between Paul Stirling and Andy Balbirnie for the second wicket against Windies at Dublin (Malahide) on 11th May 2019.
- It is the highest ODI partnership for Ireland against Bangladesh for any wicket. Their previous record was 118 runs partnership for the first wicket between William Porterfield and Paul Stirling at Belfast on 15th July 2010.
- It is the sixth highest ODI partnership for Ireland for any wicket.
i) Ireland captain William Porterfield scored 94 runs.
- It was the second time in ODI history when an Ireland captain lost his wicket in nervous-nineties. William Porterfield was also the first Irish captain to achieve this feat as he scored 92 runs against UAE at Harare on 12th March 2018.
i) Bangladesh right-arm pacer Abu Jayed had the bowling figures of 9-0-58-5.
- It is the third best ODI bowling figures by a Bangladesh bowler outside the home soil. The top two records in this list are 10-0-26-6 by Mashrafe Mortaza (against Kenya at Nairobi, Gym on 15th August 2006) and 9-1-30-5 by Ziaur Rahman (against Zimbabwe at Bulawayo on 3rd May 2013).
Tamim Iqbal-Liton Das partnership
i) Bangladesh openers Tamim Iqbal and Liton Das had an impressive 117 runs partnership.
- It is the highest ODI partnership for Bangladesh for the opening wicket at away venues (excluding the neutral venues). Their previous record was the 105 runs partnership between Hannan Sarkar and Manjural Islam Rana against Zimbabwe at Harare on 14th March 2004.
i) As a designed wicketkeeper-batsman, Mushfiqur Rahim has scored 5,000 ODI runs by the end of this match.
- Mushfiqur Rahim becomes the fifth designed wicketkeeper-batsman to score 5,000 or more ODI runs.