South Africa vs Sri Lanka, First Test: Statistical Review
South Africa won the first Test of the 3-match Test series against Sri Lanka at Port Elizabeth. After winning the toss, South Africa decided to bat first. They scored 286 in their first innings which was replied by the visitors Sri Lanka with 205 runs in their first innings.
Leading with 81 runs at the end of the first innings, South Africa scored 406/6 before declaring their second innings. Chasing 488 runs for victory, Sri Lanka were bundled out for 281 runs.
South Africa won the first Test of this series by 206 runs. With this victory, South Africa is leading the 3-match Test series by 1-0.
Brief Scores: South Africa – 286 (JP Duminy 63, Stephen Cook 59, Suranga Lakmal 5/63) & 406/6 decl. (Stephen Cook 117, Quinton de Kock 69, Dhananjaya de Silva 2/91)
Sri Lanka – 205 (Dhananjaya de Silva 43, Angelo Mathews 39, Vernon Philander 5/45) & 281 (Angelo Mathews 59, Kusal Mendis 58, Kagiso Rabada 3/77)
Result – South Africa won by 206 runs
Here are some important statistical highlights of the 1st Test:
- Sri Lankan pacer Suranga Lakmal’s first innings bowling figures were 27-9-63-5. It is the second best bowling figures by a Sri Lankan pacer in a Test innings on South African soil. The best bowling figure by a Sri Lankan pacer in a Test innings on South African soil is 5/52 by Chanaka Welegedara in Durban in 2011.
- South African pacer Vernon Philander bowled very impressively during Sri Lanka’s first innings. His bowling figures in that innings were 20-7-45-5 which is the third best bowling figure by a South African bowler in a Test innings against Sri Lanka.
- South African opening batsmen Stephen Cook and Dean Elgar put 100+ partnership for the opening wicket in the both innings of this Test. It is the fourth time when South African openers put 100+ partnership for the opening wicket in the both innings of a Test match.
Also, this is the second time when same South African opening pair openers put 100+ partnership for the opening wicket in the both innings of a Test match.
- Sri Lankan wicket-keeper Dinesh Chandimal took total 5 catches in this Test. It is the joint highest no. catches taken in a Test match by a Sri Lankan wicket-keeper against South Africa. Before this, Romesh Kaluwitharana had taken 5 catches as a Sri Lankan wicket-keeper in a Test match against South Africa at Centurion in 2001.
- South Africa won this Test by 206 runs. It is largest Test victory (by runs) for South Africa against Sri Lanka. South Africa’s previous largest Test victory (by runs) against Sri Lanka was by 153 runs at Galle in 2014.
Sakshi Dhoni Brushes Off False Rumours Of MS Dhoni’s Retirement
MS Dhoni’s retirement speculations have never ended since he went under sabbatical after ICC World Cup 2019. On Wednesday (27th May) evening, #DhoniRetires started trending on Twitter which made every Dhoni lover anxious. Then his wife Sakshi stepped into the matter and brushed off all…
“Money Is A Big Aspect But…..” Mitchell Starc Reveals Why He Doesn’t Play IPL
Indian Premier League (IPL), which is the most famous league around the world, features the best players in the business. The league not only provides good quality of cricket while also offers a big sum of money to players. Perhaps, these qualities don’t attract Australian…