India thrashed Sri Lanka in the first T20I of the three-match T20I series at Barabati Stadium (Cuttack).
Sri Lanka decided to bowl first after winning the toss. India managed to score 180/3 in 20 overs.
In reply, Sri Lanka surrendered their innings for just 87 runs in 16 overs. India won this match by 93 runs and took 1-0 lead in the three-match T20I series.
Brief Scores: India – 180/3 in 20 overs (KL Rahul 61, MS Dhoni 39*, Angelo Mathews 1/19)
Sri Lanka – 87 in 16 overs (Upul Tharanga 23, Kusal Perera 19, Yuzvendra Chahal 4/23)
Result – India won by 93 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- Indian batsmen KL Rahul and Shreyas Iyer put a good partnership of 63 runs for the second wicket. It is India’s third highest T20I partnership for the second wicket against Sri Lanka. Here is the detail list:
India’s top T20I partnerships for the second wicket against Sri Lanka
|Partners’ names||Partnership runs scored||Venue||Date|
|Ajinkya Rahane and Virat Kohli||74||Pallekele||7th August 2012|
|Gautam Gambhir and Suresh Raina||66||Gros Islet||11th May 2010|
|KL Rahul and Shreyas Iyer||63||Cuttack||20th December 2017|
- Indian batsman KL Rahul played a brilliant knock of 61 runs. Here are some important stats of this innings.
i) It is the second highest T20I knock by an Indian opener against Sri Lanka. The record holder is Virender Sehwag with 64 runs innings at Mohali on 12th December 2009.
ii) Also, it is the second highest T20I knock by an Indian batsman against Sri Lanka on the Indian soil. The record holder is Virender Sehwag with 64 runs innings at Mohali on 12th December 2009.
- Sri Lankan skipper Thisara Perera dismissed KL Rahul. It was the first ever T20I wicket taken by any Sri Lankan captain against India.
- Indian batsmen MS Dhoni and Manish Pandey put a brilliant unbroken 68 runs partnership for the fourth wicket. It is India’s third highest T20I partnership for the fourth wicket. Here is the detail list:
India’s top fourth wicket T20I partnerships
|Partners’ names||Partnership runs scored||Opposition||Venue||Date|
|KL Rahul and MS Dhoni||107||West Indies||Lauderhill||27th August 2016|
|Yuvraj Singh and MS Dhoni||97||Pakistan||Ahmedabad||28th December 2012|
|MS Dhoni and Manish Pandey||68*||Sri Lanka||Cuttack||20th December 2017|
- Indian leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal bowled superbly in this match as his bowling figure was 4-0-23-4. It is the third best T20I bowling figure for India against Sri Lanka. Here is the detail list:
India’s top T20I bowling figures against Sri Lanka
|Ravichandran Ashwin||4-1-8-4||Visakhapatnam||14th February 2016|
|Ashok Dinda||3-1-19-4||Pallekele||7th August 2012|
|Yuzvendra Chahal||4-0-23-4||Cuttack||20th December 2017|
- Indian spinners picked up total six wickets (Yuzvendra Chahal 4/23 and Kuldeep Yadav 2/18) in this match. It is the second most no.of total wickets taken by the Indian spinners against Sri Lanka in a T20I match. The record is taking 7 wickets by the Indian spinners against Sri Lanka at Visakhapatnam on 14th February 2016.
- Indian wicketkeeper MS Dhoni made total 4 dismissals (2 catches taken & 2 stumpings) in this match. Here are some important stats:
i) It is the joint most no.of dismissals involved by an Indian wicketkeeper in a T20I match. Previously, MS Dhoni had achieved this figure twice before this game (against Afghanistan at Gros Islet on 1st May 2010 and against Pakistan at Colombo, RPS on 30th September 2012).
ii) It is the joint most no.of dismissals involved by any wicketkeeper against Sri Lanka in a T20I match. Previously, Ireland wicketkeeper Niall O’Brien had achieved this figure once against Sri Lanka at Lord’s on 14th June 2009.
- Including his 4 dismissals involvement in this match, Indian wicketkeeper MS Dhoni has involved in total 74 T20I dismissals (47 catches taken & 27 stumpings) and all as a wicketkeeper. It is the most no.of T20I dismissals by any player (including wicketkeeper and non-wicketkeeper both). Dhoni surpassed the record of AB De Villiers who has 72 T20I dismissals (65 catches taken & 7 stumpings) with his name.
9. With two stumpings in this match, Indian wicketkeeper MS Dhoni made total 27 stumpings dismissals in the T20I career. It is the second joint most no.of T20I stumpings made by any wicketkeeper. Here is the detail list:
Top no.of stumpings made by wicketkeepers in T20I career
|Player (Team)||Matches||Innings||No.of stumping dismissals|
|Kamran Akmal (Pakistan)||58||58||32|
|Mohammad Shahzad (Afghanistan)||58||58||27|
|MS Dhoni (India)||84||83||27|
Sri Lanka was bundled out for just 87 runs in 16 overs. It is the joint second lowest completed T20I total for Sri Lanka. Here is the detail list:
Sri Lanka’s three lowest completed T20I total
|82 (18)||India||Visakhapatnam||14th February 2016|
|87 (16.2)||Australia||Bridgetown||9th May 2010|
|87 (16)||India||Cuttack||20th December 2017|
11. India won this match by 93 runs. It is India’s largest T20I victory (by runs). Their previous record was winning by 90 runs against England at Colombo (RPS) on 23rd September 2012.
12. Sri Lanka lost this T20I by 93 runs. It was Sri Lanka’s largest T20I defeat (by runs). The previous record was losing by 85 runs against Australia at Pallekele on 6th September 2016.