India once again thrashed the visitors Sri Lanka in the second T20I of 3-match T20I series at Holkar Cricket Stadium (Indore).
After winning the toss, Sri Lanka elected to field first. India produced a brilliant batting performance as they managed to put a mammoth total of 260/5 at the end 20 overs.
In reply, Sri Lanka was bundled out for just 172 runs in 17.2 overs. India won this match by 88 runs. With this victory, India now secured the three-match T20I series with the 2-0 lead.
Brief Scores: India – 260/5 in 20 overs (Rohit Sharma 118, KL Rahul 89, Thisara Perera 2/49)
Sri Lanka – 172 in 17.2 overs (Kusal Perera 77, Upul Tharanga 47, Yuzvendra Chahal 4/52)
Result – India won by 88 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- Indian opening batsman Rohit Sharma (118) scored a brilliant quick-fire century in this match as he completed his century in just 35 deliveries. It is the joint fastest T20I century. Earlier, South African batsman David Miller had also completed a T20I century in the same no.of deliveries (35 balls) against Bangladesh at Potchefstroom on 29th October 2017.
- Indian skipper Rohit Sharma scored 118 runs. Here are some important stats of this brilliant knock:
i) It is the highest T20I knock by an Indian batsman. The previous record holder was KL Rahul with 110* runs knock against West Indies at Lauderhill on 27th August 2016.
ii) Also, it is the third highest T20I knock by a captain. Here is the detail list:
Three top knocks by T20I captains
|Player (Team)||Runs scored||Opposition||Venue||Date|
|Shane Watson (Australia)||124*||India||Sydney||31st January 2016|
|Faf du Plessis (South Africa)||119||West Indies||Johannesburg||11th January 2015|
|Rohit Sharma (India)||118||Sri Lanka||Indore||22nd December 2017|
- Indian batsman Rohit Sharma hit total 12 fours and 10 sixes in his 118 runs knock. Here are some important stats:
i) Rohit Sharma hit total 10 sixes which is the most no.of sixes hit in a T20I innings by a skipper. The previous record was hitting seven sixes in an innings by a T20I captain.
ii) Rohit Sharma hit total 10 sixes which is the most no.of sixes hit by an Indian batsman in a T20I innings. In the addition, KL Rahul (scored 89 runs) also hit 8 sixes in this match which is the second most no.of sixes hit by an Indian batsman in a T20I innings. Here is the detail list:
Top no.of sixes hit by an Indian batsman in a T20I innings
|Rohit Sharma||10||Sri Lanka||Indore||22nd December 2017|
|KL Rahul||8||Sri Lanka||Indore||22nd December 2017|
|Yuvraj Singh||7||England||Durban||19th September 2007|
|Yuvraj Singh||7||Pakistan||Ahmedabad||28th December 2012|
|Rohit Sharma||6||Australia||Bridgetown||7th May 2010|
iii) Rohit Sharma scored total 108 runs through the boundaries. It is the third most runs scored by a batsman from boundaries in a T20I innings. Here is the detail list:
Most runs scored by a batsman from boundaries in a T20I innings
|Player (Team)||Total runs scored from boundaries||Opposition||Venue||Date|
|Aaron Finch (Australia)||128||England||Southampton||29th August 2013|
|Glenn Maxwell (Australia)||110||Sri Lanka||Pallekele||6th September 2016|
|Rohit Sharma (India)||108||Sri Lanka||Indore||22nd December 2017|
- Indian batsmen Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul put a superb 165 runs partnership for the opening wicket. It is the fourth highest T20I partnership. Here is the detail list:
Top T20I partnerships for any wicket
|Partners’ names (Team)||Partnership runs scored||Partnership for the wicket no.||Opposition||Venue||Date|
|Martin Guptill and Kane Williamson (New Zealand)||171*||1st||Pakistan||Hamilton||17th January 2016|
|Loots Bosman and Graeme Smith (South Africa)||170||1st||England||Centurion||15th November 2009|
|Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka)||166||2nd||West Indies||Bridgetown||7th May 2010|
|Rohit Sharma and KL Rahul (India)||165||1st||Sri Lanka||Indore||22nd December 2017|
- India scored 260/5 at the end of 20 overs. It is the second highest T20I total for a team. The record holder is Australia with 263/3 in 20 overs against Sri Lanka at Pallekele on 6th September 2016.
- India scored total 210 runs through boundaries (21 fours and 21 sixes). It is the most no.of total runs scored by a team through boundaries in a T20I innings. The previous record holder was Sri Lanka with total 186 runs (30 fours and 11 sixes) through boundaries against Kenya at Johannesburg on 14th September 2007.
- Sri Lankan captain Thisara Perera scored a golden duck in this match. It was the fourth time when a T20I skipper scored a golden duck against India. Here is the detail list:
T20I skippers who have scored a golden duck against India
|Mashrafe Mortaza (Bangladesh)||Dhaka||24th February 2016|
|Amjad Javed (UAE)||Dhaka||3rd March 2016|
|Mashrafe Mortaza (Bangladesh)||Dhaka||6th March 2016|
|Thisara Perera (Sri Lanka)||Indore||22nd December 2017|
- Sri Lanka was bundled out for just 172 runs in 17.2 overs. It is their third highest T20I total against India. Here is the detail list:
Sri Lanka’s top T20I total against India
|215/5 (20)||Nagpur||9th December 2009|
|206/7 (20)||Mohali||12th December 2009|
|172 (17.2)||Indore||22nd December 2017|
- At the end of this match, Indian wicketkeeper MS Dhoni has made total 29 stumpings in his T20I career. It is the second most no.of T20I stumpings made by any wicketkeeper. Here is the detail list:
Top no.of stumpings made by wicketkeepers in T20I career
|Player (Team)||Matches||Innings||No.of stumping dismissals|
|Kamran Akmal (Pakistan)||58||58||32|
|MS Dhoni (India)||85||84||29|
|Mohammad Shahzad (Afghanistan)||58||58||27|
10. India won this match by 88 runs. It is their third largest T20I victory (by runs). Here is the detail list:
Three largest T20I victories (by runs) for India
|93 runs||Sri Lanka||Cuttack||20th December 2017|
|90 runs||England||Colombo (RPS)||23rd September 2012|
|88 runs||Sri Lanka||Indore||22nd December 2017|
11. Sri Lanka lost this match by 88 runs. It is their second largest T20I defeat (by runs). The record is losing by 93 runs against India in the previous T20I match (at Cuttack on 20th December 2017).