India won the three-match ODI series against Sri Lanka after beating them in the final ODI at Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium (Visakhapatnam).
India decided to field first after winning the toss. Sri Lanka was bowled out for just 215 runs in 44.5 overs.
India chased down the target in 32.1 overs after losing only 2 wickets. India won this ODI by 8 wickets and also won this three-match ODI series by the 2-1 margin.
Brief Scores: Sri Lanka – 215 in 44.5 overs (Upul Tharanga 95, Sadeera Samarawickrama 42, Kuldeep Yadav 3/42)
India – 219/2 in 32.1 overs (Shikhar Dhawan 100*, Shreyas Iyer 65, Thisara Perera 1/25)
Result – India won by 8 wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- Sri Lankan opener Upul Tharanga (95) played a 50+ knock in this match. It was his fourth 50+ ODI knock (1 century and 3 half-centuries) against India on the Indian soil and all as an opener. With this innings, he became the most no.of playing 50+ ODI innings as a Sri Lankan opening batsman. Tharanga surpassed Tillakaratne Dilshan and Sanath Jayasuriya who had three 50+ innings each as an opener against India on the Indian soil.
- Sri Lankan batsmen Upul Tharanga and Sadeera Samarawickrama put an important 121 runs partnership for the second wicket. It is Sri Lanka’s fourth highest ODI partnership for the second wicket on the Indian soil. Here is the detail list:
Sri Lanka’s top 2nd wicket ODI partnerships on the Indian soil
|Partners’ names||Partnership runs scored||Opposition||Venue||Date|
|Roy Dias and Sidath Wettimuny||170||India||Delhi||15th September 1982|
|Sanath Jayasuriya and Marvan Atapattu||138||India||Mumbai||17th May 1997|
|Tillakaratne Dilshan and Kumar Sangakkara||128||India||Rajkot||15th December 2009|
|Upul Tharanga and Sadeera Samarawickrama||121||India||Visakhapatnam||17th December 2017|
- Sri Lankan opening batsman Upul Tharanga completed 1,000 ODI runs in 2017. He became the third batsman to achieve this feat in this calendar year. Here is the list:
Batsmen who scored 1,000+ ODI runs in 2017
|Player (Team)||Matches||Innings||Runs scored||Average||Highest Score||100s/50s|
|Virat Kohli (India)||26||26||1,460||76.84||131||6/7|
|Rohit Sharma (India)||21||21||1,293||71.83||208*||6/5|
|Upul Tharanga (Sri Lanka)||25||25||1,011||48.14||119||2/6|
- At the end of this match, Sri Lankan batsman Upul Tharanga scored total 859 runs as an ODI opener on the Indian soil. He became the most runs scorer as a Sri Lankan ODI opening batsman on the Indian soil. The previous record holder was Sanath Jayasuriya who had scored 815 runs as a Sri Lankan ODI opening batsman on the Indian soil.
- Sri Lanka was bowled out for just 215 runs. It is Sri Lanka’s third lowest completed innings in a day-night ODI match against India on the Indian soil. The detail list is given below:
Sri Lanka’s three lowest completed innings in a day-night ODI match against India on the Indian soil
|Total Score (Overs)||Venue||Date|
|122 (35.4)||Mohali||28th October 2005|
|194 (39.2)||Cuttack||2nd November 2014|
|215 (44.5)||Visakhapatnam||17th December 2017|
- Indian batsmen Shikhar Dhawan and Shreyas Iyer put a brilliant 135 runs partnership for the second wicket. It is India’s second highest ODI partnership for the second wicket during chasing a total against Sri Lanka. The record is 197 unbroken partnership between Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli at Dambulla on 20th August 2017.
- Indian opening batsman Shikhar Dhawan played a brilliant knock of unbeaten 100 runs. It was his fourth ODI century against Sri Lanka which is the joint second most no.of ODI centuries by a left-handed Indian batsman against Sri Lanka. Here is the detail list:
Most no.of ODI centuries by a left-handed Indian batsman against Sri Lanka