Sri Lanka vs Australia 2016: Statistical Review of 2nd ODI
After losing the first ODI, hosts Sri Lanka made a good comeback by winning the second ODI of the 5-match ODI series against Australia. In the beginning of the 2nd ODI at Colombo (RPS), Sri Lanka decided to bat first after winning the toss. Sri Lanka made 288 runs before getting bundled out in their innings.
In reply, Australia were bowled out for 206 runs. Sri Lanka won the match by 82 runs to level the 5-match ODI series by 1-1.
Brief Scores: Sri Lanka – 288 in 48.5 overs (Kusal Mendis 69, Angelo Mathews 57, Adam Zampa 3/42)
Australia – 206 in 47.2 overs (Matthew Wade 76, Travis Head 31, Amila Aponso 4/18)
Result – Sri Lanka won by 82 runs
Some of the statistical highlights of the 2nd ODI between Sri Lanka and Australia are given below:
- Sri Lankan batsmen Angelo Mathews and Kusal Perera put an outstanding and important 103-run partnership for the 6th wicket in their innings. It was Sri Lanka’s second century partnership for the 6th wicket against Australia in ODI. The previous one was for an 115-run partnership between Aravind de Silva and Roshan Mahanama at Colombo (RPS) on 30th August 1996.
- Australian left-arm pacer James Faulkner claimed a hat-trick in this match. He became the 6th Australian bowler to achieve an ODI hat-trick. Also Faulkner became 2nd Australian bowler to achieve an ODI hat-trick against Sri Lanka after Daniel Christian (on 2nd March 2012 at MCG).
Also, Faulkner became 2nd left-arm Australian bowler to achieve an ODI hat-trick after Bruce Raid (on 29th January 1986 at Sydney).
- Sri Lanka were bowled out for 288 runs in 48.5 overs after batting first. It was Sri Lanka’s highest ODI score against Australia in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka’s previous highest ODI score against Australia was 286/9 (50 overs) at Hambantota on 16th August 2011.
- 3 Sri Lankan batsmen hit half-centuries in the Sri Lanka’s 288-runs innings. Those three Sri Lankan batsmen were: Kusal Mendis (69), Angelo Mathews (57) and Kusal Perera (54). It was the 6th time that 3 Sri Lankan batsmen scored 50+ runs in an ODI innings against Australia. However, this incident first ever happened in Sri Lanka in this match.
Also, till date, there were never more than 3 Sri Lankan batsmen scored 50+ runs in an ODI innings against Australia.
- Australian batsman Matthew Wade scored 76 runs in this match. In a losing cause, it was the 3rd highest individual ODI score by an Australian batsman in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lankan left-arm spinner Amila Aponso bowled an outstanding spell in this ODI. Amila’s bowling figure in this ODI were 9.2-0-18-4. It was the 2nd best ODI bowling figure by a Sri Lankan spinner against Australia. The best ODI bowling figure by a Sri Lankan spinner against Australia was 5/28 by Sanath Jayasuriya at Galle on 22nd August 1999.
Also, Amila’s bowling figure 4/18 was Sri Lanka’s 5th best ODI bowling figure by a Sri Lankan bowler against Australia.
- Sri Lanka won this ODI match by 82 runs. It is Sri Lanka’s largest ODI victory (by runs) against Australia. Sri Lanka’s previous largest ODI victory (by runs) against Australia was by 79 runs at Sydney on 9th January 2003.
Harbhajan Singh Disagree That Day-Night Test Match Will Bring More Crowd
Everyone is excited to see India playing the first day-night Test match. The number also say the same. In 66,000 seated Eden Gardens ground, 65,000 people will come to watch the match at each day of the first three days. Veteran Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh…
WWE News: Movie Released Based On Ronda Rousey’s Life
Ronda Rousey is nowhere near in the WWE when it comes to the much-anticipated return. But she has been able to feature on WWE TV, on a regular basis. Total Divas is the main reason behind this which gives an up-close and personal look on…