Statistical Review: Afghanistan tour of Ireland in 2016 – 2nd ODI
Afghanistan won the 2nd ODI of a five-match ODI series against Ireland at Belfast on Tuesday.
After winning the toss, Ireland sent Afghanistan to bat first. Afghanistan were bowled out 250 runs in 49.2 overs batting first while the home team Ireland collapsed for 211 runs in 48.2 overs chasing the target. Afghanistan won the match by 39 runs.
With this win, Afghanistan is leading the 5-match ODI series 1-0. The first ODI was abandoned without a ball being bowled due to rain.
Below are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- Afghanistan opening batsman Mohammad Shahzad hit his 6th ODI half-century and scored 66 runs in this match. With this innings, Shahzad became only second Afghanistan batsman to score 50+ for 10 times in ODI history. Till date, Shahzad has hit 4 centuries and 6 half-centuries in his ODI career.
Samiullah Shenwari is the only other Afghanistan batsman to score 50+ for 10 times in ODI history. Till date, Shenwari has hit 10 half-centuries (0 century) in his ODI career.
- Irish right-arm medium fast bowler Kevin O’Brien bowled well in this match as he took 4 wickets after conceding 45 runs in his 10 over quota (10-1-45-4). It was the 3rd time for Kevin picked-up minimum 4 wickets (all were 4 wickets) in an ODI innings. Left-arm spinner George Dockrell is the only other Irish bowler to pick up 4 or more wickets in an ODI innings (all were 4 wickets). He has recorded this feat thrice in his career
Till date, no other Irish bowlers has picked up 4 or more wickets in an ODI innings for 3 or more times.
- Apart from Kevin O’Brien, another Irish bowler Barry McCarthy (right-arm medium) also picked up 4 wickets in this match (9.2-0-59-4). It was the 3rd time in ODI history for Ireland that two Irish bowlers picked up minimum 4 wickets each in the same ODI.
- Irish batsman Ed Joyce hit his 12th ODI half-century (3 times for England and 9 times for Ireland) in this match as he scored 62 runs in this match. Playing for Ireland, it was Ed Joyce’s 2nd ODI half-century as an opening batsman. However, Joyce’s all the 3 half-centuries (also a century) for England has come as an opening batsman. Till date, Joyce never scored an ODI century as an opening batsman for Ireland.
Before this match, last time Joyce opened in ODI was on 20th September 2011 for Ireland against Canada in Dublin.
- In this match, Afghanistan beat the home side Ireland by 39 runs. It was the Afghanistan’s second ODI victory against Ireland. Afghanistan’s first ODI victory against Ireland was on 17th January 2015 at Dubai (DSC) where Afghanistan won that match by 71 runs.