Statistical Review: Australia vs Sri Lanka – 1st T20I
Sri Lanka snatched a victory against the hosts Australia in the 1st T20I at Melbourne. Sri Lanka decided to bowl first after winning the toss. Australia made the total of 168/6 in 20 overs.
Sri Lanka reached the target in the very final ball of the match after losing 5 wickets (172/5 in 20 overs). Sri Lanka won this match by 5 wickets without any balls remaining.
With this victory, Sri Lanka takes 1-0 lead in the 3-match T20I series.
Brief Scores: Australia – 168/6 in 20 overs (Aaron Finch 43, Michael Klinger 38, Lasith Malinga 2/29)
Sri Lanka – 172/5 in 20 overs (Asela Gunaratne 52, Dilshan Munaweera 44, Ashton Turner 2/12)
Result – Sri Lanka won by 5 wickets.
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- At the age of 36years and 228days, Australian batsman Michael Klinger made his international debut in this match. He became the oldest T20I debutant cricketer for Australia. The previous record holder was Brad Hogg (made T20I debut at the age of 35years and 18days).
- Debutant Michael Klinger came to bat as an opening batsman. He scored 38 runs which is the second highest individual score by an Australian T20I debutant opening batsman. The record is 89 by David Warner against South Africa at Melbourne on 11th January 2009 (also it is the highest individual score by a T20I debutant opening batsman).
- Australian wicketkeeper-batsman Tim Paine scored a diamond duck (dismissed on 0 without facing a delivery) in this match. In T20I history, Paine became the first wicketkeeper-batsman to score a diamond duck.
Also Tim Paine is 3rd Australian batsman to score a diamond duck in T20I. Other 2 Australian batsmen were: Ashley Noffke (against New Zealand at Perth on 11th December 2007) and Pat Cummins (against England at Cardiff on 31st August 2015)
- Australia scored 168/6 in 20 overs. It is Australia’s joint second highest T20I total against Sri Lanka. Before this, Australia had also put the same total (168/5 in 20 overs) on the board against Sri Lanka at Bridgetown on 9th May 2010. Australia’s highest T20I total against Sri Lanka is 263/3 at Pallekele on 6th September 2016.
- Sri Lankan batsmen Niroshan Dickwella and Dilshan Munaweera put a brilliant 74-run partnership for the 2nd wicket. It is Sri Lanka’s second highest T20I partnership for any wicket against Australia. The record for this is 104* between Tillakaratne Dilshan and Jeevan Mendis (for the 4th wicket) at Pallekele on 6th August 2011.
- Sri Lankan batsman Asela Gunaratne played a superb innings in this match as he scored 52 runs. It is the 2nd highest individual T20I score by a Sri Lankan batsman on the Australian soil. The highest individual score in this list is 61* by Mahela Jayawardene (at Melbourne on 28th January 2013).
- Sri Lanka (172/5 in 20 overs) successfully chased the target of 169 runs. It is Sri Lanka’s 2nd highest successful run chase in their T20I history. Sri Lanka’s highest successful T20I run chase is 170 (170/5 in 19.5 overs) against South Africa at Cape Town on 25th January 2017.
|Dabang Delhi K.C.||22||15||85|
|Jaipur Pink Panthers||22||9||58|
Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara Are Likely To Return As Cricketer In Legends T20 League
From the 1990s, Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Jacques Kaliis etc. dominated international cricket for a long time. While…
PCB Reportedly Asks SLC To Share Expenses To Host Test Series In UAE
Sri Lanka men’s national cricket team has recently travelled Pakistan to play limited-overs international series. After successfully hosted the limited-overs…