Statistical Review: Australia vs Sri Lanka Second T20I
Australia suffered a shock defeat against Sri Lanka in the 2nd T20I at the international debutant venue Simonds Stadium (South Geelong, Victoria). After winning the toss, Sri Lanka decided to bowl first. Australia made 173 runs before they were bowled out in the final ball of their innings (173 in 20 overs).
In reply, Sri Lankan lost their top-orders in very quick succession. Once there was looking very tough for Sri Lanka to earn a victory in this match. But Asela Gunaratne’s heroic unbeaten 84-run knock finally helped Sri Lanka to snatch a victory in the final ball of the match.
With this victory, Sri Lanka secures the 3-match T20I series as they are leading by 2-0 at the end of 2nd T20I.
Brief Scores: Australia – 173 in 20 overs (Moises Henriques 56*, Michael Klinger 43, Nuwan Kulasekara 4/31)
Sri Lanka – 176/8 in 20 overs (Asela Gunaratne 84*, Chamara Kapugedera 32, Andrew Tye 3/37)
Result – Sri Lanka won by 2 wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- At the age of 20years and 152days, Australian cricketer Jhye Richardson made his international cricket debut in this T20I. He became the third youngest T20I debutant cricketer for Australia. The top two in this list are: Pat Cummins (18years and 158days) and Mitchell Marsh (19years and 361days)
- Facing the last delivery of Australian innings, debutant Australian cricketer Jhye Richardson scored a golden duck. Richardson became the first ever Australian T20I debutant cricketer to score a golden duck.
- Losing the all wickets, Australia made 173 runs in 20 overs. It is Australia’s second highest T20I total against Sri Lanka. Australia’s highest T20I total against Sri Lanka is 263/3 at Pallekele on 6th September 2016.
Also this is the first time in T20I history when Australia were bowled out against Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lankan right-arm pacer Nuwan Kulasekara bowled very well in this match as his bowling figure in this T20I was 4-0-31-4. It is the 2nd best T20I bowling figure by a Sri Lankan bowler against Australia. The best T20I bowling figure for Sri Lanka against Australia is 6/16 by Ajantha Mendis at Pallekele on 8th August 2011.
- Sri Lankan batsman Asela Gunaratne batted incredibly well as he remained unbeaten on 84. It is the 3rd highest individual T20I score by a Sri Lankan batsman against Australia. The top two in this list are: 104* by Tillakaratne Dilshan (at Pallekele on 6th August 2011) and 86 by Mahela Jayawardene (at Pallekele on 8th August 2011).
Also it is the 2nd highest individual T20I score by a visiting batsman on the Australian soil. Indian batsman Virat Kohli is the record holder in this with 90* innings against Australia at Adelaide on 26th January 2016.
- At the end of the day, Sri Lanka successfully chased down the target of 174 runs (176/8 in 20 overs). It is Sri Lanka’s highest successful run chase in their T20I history. Their previous record was 170/5 (target – 170 runs) against South Africa at Cape Town on 25th January 2017.
- Australia lost this T20I by 2 wickets. It is Australia’s 2nd smallest defeated margin (by wickets) in their T20I history. Australia’s smallest defeated margin (by wickets) in their T20I history is by only 1 wicket against England at Adelaide on 12th January 2011.
Cheteshwar Pujara’s Deal With Gloucestershire Turned Down Due to Coronavirus Pandemic
The consequences of the Coronavirus have hit India’s Test cricketer Cheteshwar Pujar. The unprecedented virus has halted all the cricket events around the world. Pujara had bagged a short term contract from Gloucestershire which has now been turned down because of the suspension of the…
WWE Canceled Special Wrestlemania 36 Entrance For Alexa Bliss
WWE has increased the spotlight on the women’s division from the past several years in the name of the Women’s Evolution. It began from 2016 onwards where the Divas division was converted into the women’s division. WrestleMania 32 was the place where the women could…