Australia clinched the victory against Sri Lanka in the 3rd and final T20I of the series at Adelaide. Sri Lanka elected to bowl first after winning the toss as Australia put 187/6 (20 overs) on the board.
In reply, Sri Lanka was bundled out for 146 as Australia won this T20I by 41 runs.
However, Sri Lanka had already secured the 3-match T20I series as they win it by a 2-1 margin.
Brief Scores: Australia – 187/6 in 20 overs (Michael Klinger 62, Aaron Finch 53, Dasun Shanaka 2/27)
Sri Lanka – 146 in 18 overs (Dilshan Munaweera 37, Milinda Siriwardana 35, James Faulkner 3/20)
Result – Australia won by 41 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- Both Australian opening batsmen Aaron Finch (53) and Michael Klinger (62) hit a half-century in this match. It was the 5th time in T20I history when both Australian opening batsmen scored 50+ runs each in the same innings.
- Australia scored 187/6 in 20 overs. It is Australia’s second highest T20I total against Sri Lanka. Australia’s highest T20I total against Sri Lanka is 263/3 at Pallekele on 6th September 2016.
- Sri Lankan skipper used total 7 bowlers during Australia’s innings. It was the second time when Sri Lanka used total 7 bowlers against Australia (most by Sri Lanka against Australia) in a T20I match. The first one was at Colombo (RPS) on 9th September 2016.
- Australian leg-spinner Adam Zampa bowled very well in this match as his bowling figures were 4-0-25-3. It is the joint best bowling figure by an Australian spinner on the Australian soil. David Hussey (3/25) had also the same figure once against South Africa in Melbourne on 11th January 2009.
However, these are the joint best bowling figure by a spinner on the Australian soil (also Sri Lankan off-spinner Suraj Randiv had the bowling figures of 3/25 against Australia at Perth on 31st October 2010). The best figures in this list are 3/18 by Ireland left-arm spinner George Dockrell against PNG at Townsville on 7th February 2016.
- Australia won this match by 41 runs. It was Australia’s first T20I victory against Sri Lanka on their home soil. Before this T20I, there were 5 T20Is had been played between Australia and Sri Lanka in Australia and Sri Lanka had won all of them.