Statistical Review: South Africa vs Sri Lanka – 2nd ODI
On Wednesday, South Africa thrashed Sri Lanka in the 2nd ODI of the series at Durban. Sri Lanka elected to bowl first after winning the toss. Despite suffering early jitters, the hosts finally managed to score 307/6 in 50 overs with the help twin tons from Faf du Plessis and David Miller.
In reply, Sri Lanka were bowled out just for 186 (37.5 overs) as South Africa won the ODI by 121 runs.
With this victory, South Africa now lead the five-match series 2-0.
Brief Scores: South Africa – 307/6 in 50 overs (David Miller 117*, Faf du Plessis 105, Suranga Lakmal 2/54)
Sri Lanka – 186 in 37.5 overs (Dinesh Chandimal 36, Upul Tharanga 26, Imran Tahir 2/26)
Result – South Africa won by 121 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- South Africa batsmen Faf du Plessis and David Miller put on an impressive 117 runs partnership for the 5th wicket. It was South Africa’s highest 5th wicket ODI partnership against Sri Lanka. The previous best was the 100-run partnership between Neil McKenzie and Mark Boucher at East London on December 17, 2000.
- Faf du Plessis (105) and David Miller (117*) hit centuries in this ODI. It was the 3rd time in ODI history when two South African batsmen hit centuries in the same innings against Sri Lanka. The first two occasions were: at Johannesburg on January 22, 2012 (Graeme Smith – 125 and AB de Villiers – 125*) and at Hambantota on July 12, 2014 (Quinton de Kock 128 and AB de Villiers 108).
- South Africa scored 307/6 at the end of 50 overs. It was the 3rd highest ODI total for South Africa against Sri Lanka on their home soil. The top 2 in this list are: 317/6 at Centurion on November 29, 2002 and 312/4 at Johannesburg on January 22, 2012.
- Sri Lankan pacer Nuwan Kulasekara was very expensive in this ODI as he conceded a total 76 runs (10-0-76-1) at the end. It was the 3rd most runs conceded by a Sri Lankan bowler against South Africa in an ODI match. The top 2 in this list are both by Lasith Malinga 0/85 (at Hambantota on 12th July 2014) and 2/79 (at Johannesburg on 22nd January 2012)
- South Africa won this ODI by 121 runs. It was South Africa’s 4th largest ODI victory (by runs) against Sri Lanka.
|Dabang Delhi K.C.||16||13||69|
|Jaipur Pink Panthers||16||7||43|
England All-rounder Moeen Ali Takes Indefinite Break From Test Cricket
On a day when he lost his red-ball contract with England Cricket Board (ECB), Moeen Ali has taken an indefinite…
Vizay Hazare Trophy 2019-20: Barinder Sran Shifts His Base To Chandigarh From Punjab
Discarded fast bowler Barinder Sran has shifted his base to Chandigarh from Punjab in a bid to find new opportunities…