Statistical Review: Sri Lanka vs Australia – Day 5 of the first Test
Sri Lanka clinched a historic win over Australia on day 5 of the 1st Test at Pallekele. Australia began the day with their overnight score on 83/3 and were bowled out for 161 runs.
Sri Lanka won the Test match by 106 runs and took a 1-0 lead in a 3-match Test series at the end of the 1st Test.
Brief Scores: Sri Lanka – 117 (Dhananjaya de Silva 24, Kusal Perera 20, Nathan Lyon 3/12) & 353 (Kusal Mendis 176, Dinesh Chandimal 42, Mitchell Starc 4/84)
Australia – 203 (Adam Voges 47, Mitchell Marsh 31, Rangana Herath 4/49) & 161 (Steven Smith 55, Joe Burns 29, Rangana Herath 5/54)
Result – Sri Lanka won by 106 runs
Here are some statistical highlights are given below of the day 5 of 1st Test:
- Australian batsmen Steve O’Keefe and Peter Nevill put only 4 run partnership for the 9th wicket, facing 178 deliveries. The scoring rate of that partnership was 0.13 which is the lowest in any Test inning partnership spanning 100 or more balls (since balls faced information is available). Out of 178 deliveries, 176 balls were dots (excluding the dismissal delivery). Out of that 176 dot deliveries, last 137 dots were consecutive.
- Sri Lankan left-arm spinner Rangana Herath bowled superbly in the 4th innings of the match. Once again he claimed a 5-wicket haul as he ended with the figure of 33.3-16-54-5. It was his 7th 5-wicket haul in the 4th innings of a Test match, which is the joint most no. of times a 5-wicket haul by a bowler in the 4th innings of a Test match. Former Sri Lankan legendary off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan and former Australian legendary leg-spinner Shane Warne also claimed 5-wicket haul for 7 times in the 4th innings of a Test match.
- Rangana Herath’s 5/54 is the best Test innings bowling figure at Pallekele. The previous best Test innings bowling figure at Pallekele was 5/58 by Pakistani pacer Imran Khan against Sri Lanka in 2015.
- Rangana Herath’s match bowling figure were 9/103. It was the 3rd best Test match bowling figure by a Sri Lankan bowler against Australia. Also, it is the 2nd best Test match bowling figures by a Sri Lankan bowler against Australia at home.
- Sri Lankan debutant chinaman bowler Lakshan Sandakan’s match figure were 7/107 (4/58 in the 1st innings and 3/49 in the 2nd innings). It is the best Test match bowling figures by a chinaman bowler on debut. The previous best Test match bowling figure by a chinaman bowler was 5/165 by former Australian bowler Chuck Fleetwood-Smith against South Africa at Durban in 1935.
Also, Sandakan’s Test match bowling figures (7/107) were the 3rd best bowling figure by a Sri Lankan bowler on Test debut.
- Sri Lankan spinners took all the 10 wickets in the 4th innings of this match. It was the first time in Test history that Sri Lanka’s spinners took all the Australia’s 10 wickets in a Test innings.
- It is only Sri Lanka’s second Test win against Australia. Sri Lanka won their first Test against Australia 17 years ago, in 1999 at Kandy.
|Dabang Delhi K.C.||16||13||69|
|Jaipur Pink Panthers||17||7||46|
India vs South Africa – 3rd T20I, Bangalore – Toss Report
India’s captain Virat Kohli has won the toss and he has elected to bat first in the third and final…
Afghanistan Sweat Over Rashid Khan’s Fitness For T20I Series Final
Afghanistan is sweating over the fitness of their captain Rashid Khan for the T20I series final against Bangladesh. Rashid Khan…