Statistical Review: West Indies vs England 1st ODI
England clinched a victory against the hosts West Indies in the 1st ODI at North Sound. After winning the toss, West Indies decided to bowl first as England put 296/6 (50 overs) on the board.
In reply, West Indies were bundled out for 251 runs. England won this ODI by 45 runs and takes 1-0 lead in this 3-match ODI series.
Brief Scores: England – 296/6 in 50 overs (Eoin Morgan 107, Ben Stokes 55, Ashley Nurse 2/57)
West Indies – 251 in 47.2 overs (Jason Mohammed 72, Jonathan Carter 52, Liam Plunket 4/40)
Result – England won by 45 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
- England skipper Eoin Morgan hit a brilliant century as he scored 107 runs. Morgan became the 2nd English skipper to score an ODI century in West Indies as it is also the highest ODI score by an English captain on the Caribbean soil. Andrew Strauss (105 against West Indies at Providence on 22nd march 2009) was the first England skipper to score an ODI century on the Caribbean soil who was also the previous highest ODI run scorer as an English captain on the Caribbean soil.
- This century was Morgan’s 5th ODI century as England skipper which is the most no. of ODI centuries hit by an English skipper. The previous record holders were Alaister Cook and Andrew Strauss with 4 ODI centuries each as England skipper.
- Total 3 English batsmen played 50+ knocks in this match (Sam Billings 52, Eoin Morgan 107 and Ben Stokes 55). It was the second time for England when their 3 batsmen (highest no. also for England on the Caribbean soil) played 50+ knocks in an ODI innings on the Caribbean soil. The first incident was also against West Indies at North Sound on 5th March 2014.
- England made 296/6 in 50 overs. It is the 3rd highest ODI total for England on the Caribbean soil. The top two in this list are: 303/6 (against West Indies at North Sound on 5th March 2014) and 301/9 (against West Indies at Bridgetown on 21st April 2007)
- Two England bowlers picked up 4 wickets each (Chris Woakes 4/47 and Liam Plunket 4/40) during West Indies’ innings. It is the first ever incident when two bowlers of a team took 4 or more wickets each against West Indies in an ODI match on the Caribbean soil.
Pitch Could Be Prepared In A Way To Help Maintain Balance – Anil Kumble
ICC Cricket Committee head Anil Kumble has stated that the pitches could be prepared in such a way that it helps maintain the balance between bat and ball. Cricket Committee recently recommended banning the usage of saliva in the Covid-19 era when the game will…
Breaking: Cricket West Indies Announces Squad For England Test Tour
The Cricket West Indies (CWI) has announced its 14-man squad for the upcoming Test series against England from July 8. If everything goes ahead as planned, the upcoming series will mark the return of international cricket since the coronavirus pandemic broke out. England will host…