Stats: 5 instances when a batsman scored the highest percentage of team's runs
On Saturday, West Indies were bundled out on just 148 runs in their 2nd innings against Australia in the first Test match at Hobart and suffered a huge defeat by an innings and 212 runs. Except opener Kraigg Brathwaite, no other West Indies batsmen put up a fight against Australian bowlers. Brathwaite scored 94 out of team’s total 148 runs. He scored 63.51% of his team’s runs in that innings, which was 4th highest in the Test cricket history.
So, here are top five innings where the batsmen scored the highest percentage of his team’s runs in a completed Test innings:
1) Charles Bannerman (Australia) (67.35%, against England, Melbourne 1877): – Charles Bannerman was the first man who faced the first ball, scored the first run and also hit a century in the Test cricket history. Also, another record belongs to him – the highest percentage of team’s runs scored by a batsman in an innings. He was unbeaten at 165 out of his team’s score 245 runs. The historical match was won by Australia. Over 2,100 Tests had been played, till the date the record remains unbroken.
2) Michael Slater (Australia) (66.85%, against England, Sydney 1999): – Australian opener Michael Slater hit a terrific knock of 123 runs while Australia bundled out at just 184 runs. It was the 5th and the last Test match of 1999 Ashes Test, where Australia was leading 2-1 before this match. This crucial knock helped the team to win the Test match along with the Ashes series.
3) VVS Laxman (India) (63.99%, against Australia, Sydney 2000): – Laxman played many innings where he saved India single-handedly. It was one of that innings. Though India lost that match but he showed his class as he scored 167 out of India’s 261 runs.
4) Kraigg Brathwaite (West Indies) (63.51%, against Australia, Hobart 2015): – Brathwaite is the latest batsman to join in this list. He scored 63.51% runs of his team. He was a lone fighter in that innings, as West Indies lost the game by a huge margin at the end. (The match is described in details at the top of this article)
5) Gordon Greenidge (West Indies) (63.51%, against England, Manchester 1976): – The West Indian legend Gordon Greenidge is also in this list. He made a terrific 134 out of 211 runs of his team’s total and help register a massive win against England.
Sri Lanka Vs West Indies 2020: 2nd ODI, Hambantota – Sri Lanka Secure Series After Dominating Victory
The hosts Sri Lanka have secured the three-match ODI series against the visitors West Indies after winning the second successive game of this series at Hambantota on Wednesday (26th February). It was the second match of this series where the hosts were sent to bat…
Breaking: The Undertaker To Make WWE Return At Super Showdown
The Undertaker is neither scheduled to appear on the Super ShowDown card nor to compete in a match. This would have been two straight Saudi Arabia shows without his presence. But the most popular superstar among this middle-eastern country’s fanbase won’t be missing the global…